More Carving

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think these pic have been posted before...apologies if they have.

Made with no visible screws.

Phil

G2.jpg
G1x.jpg G5x.jpg G3.jpg G4.jpg

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't do simple deep background removal without nicking something nearby. Your really deep sculpting is absolutely flawless. One could really spend days studying the perfectly curved lines of flow, with their impeccably smooth transitions. Do you have a secret group of gnomes that come in at night to carefully polish the magnificent carved scrolls? Surely, no one, single human can produce the sheer amount of sculpted metal you have posted on this Forum over the years.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you so much for these magnificent photos of your work. I study your work all the time. There are less than a hand full of engravers in this world today that equal the quality of your work in my opinion. I hope you live a long time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i first joined the forum there was a bulino work that had me mystified. i asked sam if the work was real. he assured me it was done entirely by hand. this job you show here gives me just about the same feeling. could a person really do this by hand ??
it's been said magnification will oft times destroy the illusion of perfection. in this instance, magnification seems to add to the notion of perfection. tyvm for showing this !

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This gun was good for engraving in that it had no pins/screws, very noticeable with the top lever and trigger plate where it drops into the base of the action, so the design could basically go anywhere, also a different situation for the engraver as the customer (another big collector) wanted me to finish the gun, so I had to get it colour hardened with St.Ledgers' and then lacquer it myself. Again, the choice was mine, I could have coin finished it etc, but in the end decided to leave the colours on, although maybe a little too dark with this one.

Phil

PS. It's possible, to get the carving even finer with scope magnification....which I don't use, with this sort of carving, the work has to be rotated and tilted quite a lot, and getting the focus right for me is much easier and quicker with glasses.

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful as always.!!!!!!! So do you use air assist or more H&C when you are doing this technique???

These days air assisted, much easier, much less stress and quicker, up until about 7 years ago when I had the Palm Control it was all H&C.

Phil