New Hermes engraver - master template for logo / signature.

5Hughes

First of all thank you for this community... I hope to learn a lot here! But in the meantime... Can anyone point me to WHO or HOW to go about getting a brass plate to be used as a master template for a logo and/ or signature to be transferred to knife blades using a New Hermes Pantograph table top engraver.

I know we can hand trace with the New Hermes but are not steady enough with our hands... would love to learn how to make one or hire someone to make us one.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

5Hughes

Thank you so much for your reply. I know this is a very simple question and I apologize for that.... so to make sure I understand you - take a piece of brass and use a piece of paper with drawn out design to engrave onto the brass to be able to use as a template for the future engravings. I hoped this was how to do it but because we are new at this (for my sons knives) we didn't want to damage anything. Thank you for your help! Kel

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
You can make (or have made) a template out of 1/16 inch thick PETG clear plastic sheet.
You don't need the extra expense and difficulty of making it from brass.
With care this PETG template will last for hundreds of transfers.
Take the signature and Logo and run it on a photocopier and enlarge it about 4 to one or 6 to one depending on your New Hermes capacity.
A hand engraver will fasten the print down to a flat surface with the Clear PETG sheet fastened over it.
Keeping their head directly over the printed image they will cut a V-groove using a square graver and follow the printed lines under the PETG.
The finished template can be clamped down on the flat surface of your New Hermes.
You just set the ratio required for the size and use the stylus to follow the grooves in the template.
As you are new at this it's always best to do a couple of practice runs with a new template.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
even easier-- use common engravers plastic. 1/16" in thickness. white is good for the front color. transfer design to the needed size. engrave with a # 53 or 54 round graver. the nh stylus will ride in the grooves very nicely. i have even made them out of aluminum. somewhere in the forum warehouse, i think i posted a tip or two on this very subject.

5Hughes

This is great! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the information!!! Thank you!!!

monk

Staff member
This is great! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the information!!! Thank you!!!

btw: for most work,i've found a 6 x 12" template size can hold several designs. the size is perfect for the nh copy table.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
template making

I use polymer printing plates with great success. I design my template on computer using Doddle-cad. All the black lines I create are then printed on a transparency. I place the transparency over the plate and expose for 20 minutes with ultraviolet light (sunlight). Wash out with warm water all the lines and then expose to harden some more. The photo shows its use on my 3:1 reduction Preis panto. Boxcar press has the plates and I use the thickest one. newPanto.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Peteb,
Good picture of your Preis machine at work.
Looks like you have an additional special piece of equipment on top of your cutter holder.
What is it and how does it work, please?
Thank you.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
There is a pointed centering extension on top of the spindle which seems to align the spindle with a matching hole in a slide on top of the frame. Don't know how or why to use it.

Latest posts

Sponsors