Some amazing progress by Dan Currie

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This year at FEGA a fellow named Dan Currie introduced himself and asked for some critique of his artwork. I obliged, looked over his work, and gave him some advice. He thanked me and left (actually we talked for a bit).

He returned the next day to show me what he'd done and I was very surprised at the progress he'd made in one day. He'd gone to his room and drew in his sketchpad and made huge progress.

Yesterday Dan emailed me with an update to his drawings, and I was stunned by what he's done. It's just fantastic!

Dan's an engineer and not an artist, and his progress shows what you really accomplish when you want it bad enough and are willing to commit to the time and energy to make it happen.

Obviously Dan has what it takes to make a superb hand engraver, and I applaud his efforts! Check the before and after pics and you'll see what I mean. Bravo Dan!

dan_currie_4.jpg

dan_currie_2.jpg

dan_currie_1.jpg

dan_currie_3.jpg

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very, very impressive! If he can cut as well as he draws, (and I see no reason to think he can't with practice), then he will be a force to contend with in the engraving world.

Wew0001

Truly amazing. I wonder how long he has been pursuing this art? Its inspiring seeing someones progression like this. Thank you for sharing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had to ask him when we met just to be sure. That's amazing progress from what he first showed me at FEGA. I was wondering if it had been the year before, but no, it was earlier this year.

I hope it gives some encouragement to those who are honing their drawing skills.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is an aspect to the art that really would lend itself to the mind of an engineer. Learn the rule, it is a path to structure.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
totally awesome story, i should say. careful, sam-- he may be after your job ! from the looks of things, i'd say he could probably master most any facet or phase of the engraving art.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone and especially you Sam for the kind words and encouragement. I started engraving about 4 years ago. For reasons unimportant to this forum I put down the graver shortly after the Vegas show but bought an iPad and Procreate and focused on drawing. Like you, I read at least 100 times over the years from Sam and others how important drawing practice is. You can add me to the believers list now! I have a long way to go, and so much to learn. But what a fun and incredible journey the art of engraving is.

Dan

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Dan
Real nice work looks like moving to FL agrees with you. Take care and keep posting your work

Latest posts

Sponsors