+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fleur de something

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

Post Thanks / Like

very pretty, but may i make a suggestion? i notice the shadows cast by the leaves onto the background are consistent for the conventional upper left lighting angle, but the shading of the elements themselves are done in typical engraver's 'universally advantageous lighting direction', then just mirrored/flipped. in my ever-so-humble opinion, using the magic mirror flip function before shading the leaves, then giving them the correct directional lighting treatment would really make a big difference.

but what do i know...
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

3. Likes Arnaud Van Tilburgh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    very pretty, but may i make a suggestion? i notice the shadows cast by the leaves onto the background are consistent for the conventional upper left lighting angle, but the shading of the elements themselves are done in typical engraver's 'universally advantageous lighting direction', then just mirrored/flipped. in my ever-so-humble opinion, using the magic mirror flip function before shading the leaves, then giving them the correct directional lighting treatment would really make a big difference.

but what do i know...
    Yep. That's one of the drawbacks of making a drop shadow showing directional light with the shading on the elements more omni directional. Hopefully it doesn't detract from it, but ideally having directional light on everything would obviously be better.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

5. Likes Arnaud Van Tilburgh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful and well executed Sam :-)

7. Likes sam, John B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch is technically correct however, there are times when something is so beautifully and tastefully designed that we overlook or often don't even notice the technical flaws and this is one of those. Michaelangelo's David is another. It is significantly out of proportion if not viewed from a specific viewpoint.

I have the training, knowledge, and experience to understand what Mitch said and I was enjoying Sam's drawing so much I didn't notice at first the different lighting patterns.

Sam I think its a wonderful drawing. It would be interesting to see what you could do with it by drawing it with one light source.

A couple of design elements I really enjoyed are the ribbon piercing the leaf and the center star-ish shaped element.

Draw on my friend.

9. Likes sam, John B., medaniel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sam,
    Have you ever thought of making a training video on how to use
    procreate?

11. Likes sam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joehuddleston View Post
    Hi Sam,
    Have you ever thought of making a training video on how to use
    procreate?
    Yes, but had I done that per request a few months ago, it would almost be outdated because of software updates. So the lifespan of an instructional video for software can be quite short. I haven't given up on the idea, but that's one thing that concerns me. Video production can be very involved.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful drawing Sam. Love your Art. I have a small request: would you have a renaissance pattern for a browning high power? If so I would be very grateful for a copy.

Thanks Randy J.

+ Reply to Thread