Issue with GRS satellite turntable??? Anyone else come across this???

NicGregson

Hey guys,

I recently bought a GRS satellite turntable and stand package. Love it. Great idea and super stable. However I'm having an issue when I apply the small leather screw brake on the side. There seems to be at least two points on the table where it grips harder than the others. I've tried tightening the drag adjustment underneath to stop any wobble in the top (as per instructions via GRS). However it still grips. It seems like a really mundane issue as its so slight but when cutting a scroll under the scope if the brake is applied then I have to apply inconsistent pressure on the turns to get a nice scroll. I can't see any movement in the turntable and can only think it is slightly wider at those points. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this??? Or am I just being way too picky.
The inconsistent spin is definitely more pronounced when the engraving block is placed on top. Just odd that the rotation is looser at some points and tighter at others, Just wanted to check if I'm being to picky before I get back to the company I bought it off. Thanks in advance guys

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For what its worth... i never use the brake on my turntable. Never even put it on and it's in some drawer someplace I put my old turntable on the new satellite stand and havent noticed any difference between that and my old drill press table Satellite stand is easier and more versatile

NicGregson

I',m not sure how often I'd use it either but I had it on for a job and it was driving me crazy it not having a consistent drag through the 360 rotation

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ha e mine on but only use it when using the micro block, the turntable has some drag on its own, not like the shimpo turntable, to my understanding, the brake is to lock it in place not slow it down as you turn, you control the turn and how fast it rotates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ha e mine on but only use it when using the micro block, the turntable has some drag on its own, not like the shimpo turntable, to my understanding, the brake is to lock it in place not slow it down as you turn, you control the turn and how fast it rotates.

But i see your stating you have wobble? I have the old turntable in mine, it does not have wobble, actually i have oold ones on the new stand, one has turned perfectly, the other one always seems to turn irregularly, even after i clean it, what can i say, might be a hit and miss.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Fairly simple to design a spring loaded Delrin or Teflon drag to fit in place of the leather one that's not working out...

If it works out well, then you have an "aftermarket" product to sell & get back your investment in the time it takes to figure it out.

Brian

NicGregson

Yeah its not the brake thats the issue...its the actual turntable either not spinning 100% true or it slightly wider at the points where its contacting the brake. Waiting to hear back from supplier about what they want to do....which I think is them waiting to hear from GRS....
Thanks for all your input guys,its appreciated

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The brake on this model is just that. A brake. It is not intended to be used as a drag. The drag is adjusted underneath to suit your needs.
This is different from the older model turntable which the side mounted know was a combo drag/brake.

Sponsors