Coin oddity

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This penny was in my change at World Market this morning. The cashier said she'd just broke a new roll a few minutes earlier. Always a surprise that one of these can make it all the way into circulation.
:thinking:

Attachments

• PennyObverse.jpeg
    PennyObverse.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 195
  • PennyReverse.jpeg
    PennyReverse.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 194

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Curious if they have any value? A copper penny that slipped in on the same year they switched to steel during war time is worth s small fortune.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it's hard to tell in the photos, but it's also a slightly smaller diameter than a finished penny. evidently the final striking operations both define the rim more sharply and flatten the coin out to its final diameter.

i haven't given much thought to any collector value, Layne. do you suppose this sort of thing is at all rare? i figured as many pennies as get minted in a year these glitches would still add up to quite a few, but who knows.

yeah, Brian, a solid one would be ideal for a hobo penny project.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I bought some nickel planchets similar to these for coin carving. Yeah, they do slip through.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Since various coins slip through, from time to time, that are misstruck, you could probably say they are in 'mint' condition and are of value to collectors. I wouldn't touch a graver to it, and put it away in a drawer somewhere. There are plenty of other coins out there to carve, but only a rare, few like these!

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
The blank copper plated zinc ones don't have much value, the mint gives them away in cello packs with struck cents by the thousands, I probably have half a dozen or more around here that were freebees at coin shows. You're right, it is slightly smaller in diameter than the struck cent, they expand to fill the collar the two dies are held in in the coining press.