Engraving a Colt replica

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a blued one but I think I should return it for the nickel one so I don't have to strip and re-blue, yeah? I think the nickel one should be "engraving ready", yeah?.

These things are pretty cool, I found out about it here on the Cafe. They make replicas and bb guns of all sorts of classic guns, I want to get a Luger too. Great way to get yer feet wet in gun engraving with no fear of getting shot by an unsatisfied customer. My brother nixed out any chance of Mom & Dad letting me have a bb gun, he shot his friend in the eye Fred, accident of course and no perm. damage but it scared the bejesus out of both families but I'll think of you and that movie while I'm playing with it.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know what the metal is, a magnet doesn't stick. I read about them on the site search here but I can't find it now. It was a regular contributor on the Cafe, they're supposed to be great for engraving, I haven't tried yet but I'll go do some test cuts.

Just did some test cuts, it's great metal whatever it is, engraves just fine.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it is possible to engrave thru plating, period ! but---- there's a chance the plating may flake away from the cut line. if this happens, uh, well ????

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
it is possible to engrave thru plating, period ! but---- there's a chance the plating may flake away from the cut line. if this happens, uh, well ????

Jeremy Potts, owner/ operator of Steel Tattoos in Denver offers engraving through chrome.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe i am missing something here but...are these bb guns steel or some sort of pot metal alloy

If it's the one from Pyramyd Air then it is a steel one and licensed by Colt. I have one in nickel and wouldn't DARE try to engrave it. I forget the gentleman's name, but they have a contract engraver that engraves their replicas, including Patton's replica guns. I also got notice from them that they now have been licensed by Glock to replicate their guns.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keep in mind that the tattoo artist may not be engraving at all but using a rotary tool to decorate the item. This is a common method in the low rider scene.
If he is actually engraving it would havd to be with carbide and would be a mess as the chrome is harder than the substrate and chips and flakes. I've seen folks offer to engrave AR15s through anodizing. The result is usually not pretty.

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.steeltattoos.net
Check it out Layne, Jeremy Potts isn't a tattoo artist, he's full time professional engraver. He's been using that name since 1980 that I know of. He has a Facebook page too, Steel Tattoos. He uses a graver with a steep face, HSS I think, I bought one from him but haven't tried it.

I've read him mention that quality plating is necessary, Harley Davidson chrome isn't a problem.

anvilring

As a jewelry designer and mfg. of 40 years, I can tell you to forget engraving on anything that's been nickel plated. Nickel is HARD!, it puts chrome to shame. And as monk sez it will flake, especially non-factory plating (i.e. plated by some 'gunsmith', 'somewhere').
Back in 05 through 07, rhodium (commonly used to do a final plate over white gold and sterling silver) got well over 8k and ounce (actually to 10k before falling to earth). So sterling silver jewelry mfg's. started using nickel. I'll bet I still have 20 oz. or so of sterling silver wedding bands that you can't do ANYTHING with, save sell them to people they already fit. To size one is a nightmare; to engrave one, the same.

regards, m

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it's the one from Pyramyd Air then it is a steel one and licensed by Colt. I have one in nickel and wouldn't DARE try to engrave it. I forget the gentleman's name, but they have a contract engraver that engraves their replicas, including Patton's replica guns. I also got notice from them that they now have been licensed by Glock to replicate their guns.

The engraver you are referring to is John Adams.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this was began after warning the gent. needless to say, the project never got finished. ymmv

Attachments

• MISTAKE copy.jpg
    MISTAKE copy.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Sponsors