Rolex Hand Engraved

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Just finished hand engraving this Rolex Milgauss. Lots of time in this one!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Love it, well done, clean cut! Need to pic your brain, one off these days

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
It's always a treat to see your watches David. Thanks for posting. Do you put a transfer on every panel when you do this kind of work ?

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
It's always a treat to see your watches David. Thanks for posting. Do you put a transfer on every panel when you do this kind of work ?

Thanks. Using transfers on watch parts can be pretty tricky. Sometimes I need to draw in some or all of design directly on the link or lug etc. I just go with the flow of what seems to be working :)

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi David,
thank you for this post.
I am wondering about the material, if it is hard to cut?

Greetings

Seb

Hi Seb - the Rolex stainless steel seems to cut maybe a bit easier than other stainless steel watches I have tried. I will say that watch cases and bands can vary quite a bit in hardness. There are even significant variations of hardness within the same watch project such as the band, clasp, bezel and case. I have been engraving mostly stainless for quite awhile and getting used to it but sometimes it makes me crazy and long for softer metals!

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
I love your work! Always have and I'm sure I always will. Not complex or overwhelming just excellent execution.
Jerry K.

iltisguy

Amazing work! I’m really curious, approximately how many hours do you have invested in that watch?

Cheers,
Jon

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Well done, David! I had the experience of engraving a Rolex watch back, I didn't know which s/s grade they use, so searched some info on the web and found this article (on this forum, posted by DocMartin I believe): http://www.businessinsider.com/10-t...ould-know-2015-1?international=true&r=US&IR=T an interesting read! I believe the 904L steel they use is really tricky to engrave clean lines (even with a carbalt graver),
it felt more like plowing under the microscope (to me). I could only do my best to bring this to a good end, the customer was happy how it turned out, better than he expected. Afterwards he asked me to do a second one.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Well done, David! I had the experience of engraving a Rolex watch back, I didn't know which s/s grade they use, so searched some info on the web and found this article (on this forum, posted by DocMartin I believe): http://www.businessinsider.com/10-t...ould-know-2015-1?international=true&r=US&IR=T an interesting read! I believe the 904L steel they use is really tricky to engrave clean lines (even with a carbalt graver),
it felt more like plowing under the microscope (to me). I could only do my best to bring this to a good end, the customer was happy how it turned out, better than he expected. Afterwards he asked me to do a second one.

I saw that article and it is interesting indeed. In my opinion the Rolex watch back is a bit easier to make clean cuts in than the other parts such as the stainless links in the band and clasp. I think the metal forming process for the various parts must be a bit different and results in differences in hardness and the way it cuts. Just my opinion after cutting quite a few.

Latest posts

Sponsors