Rocaille

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alain, how many years does such a magnificent piece of work take? That is mind boggling!

I'm glad you asked the question Sam. Without having sculpted on this scale before it's hard to have a frame of reference. I do love sculpting though and this is fantastic inspiration.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks so much for the closeup photos. I love to study your work. There are a few engravers in the world that are about as good as a person can get. You are one of them in my opinion. .It takes a combo of high art ability and craftsmanship to get there, You have them both.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Sam,
you put your finger on the main problem to do that kind of work: the time!
I started with the first idea of the design 10 years ago, modify it several times and begin to engrave in 2009!
Unfortunately, I had to stop to work on that gun many times because of different orders and I have only been able to achieve it the last year!
An other difficulty was that this gun is one of a pair, I was engraving also the second one ( with geese and swans scenes) during that time.
The second gun is now half done but the customer , I can understand him, was tired to wait so long and has decided to stop the project.
I don't know exactly the time I have spent on these guns, what I can say is that it was a monstrous work!
Alain, how many years does such a magnificent piece of work take? That is mind boggling!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
was that this gun is one of a pair, I was engraving also the second one

:shock: :eek: :confused: :shock:

my own 'magnum opus' took about 3500 hrs and i was soooo sick of that job toward the end. i cannot imagine what i would have done with a pair...

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Sam,
you put your finger on the main problem to do that kind of work: the time!
I started with the first idea of the design 10 years ago, modify it several times and begin to engrave in 2009!
Unfortunately, I had to stop to work on that gun many times because of different orders and I have only been able to achieve it the last year!
An other difficulty was that this gun is one of a pair, I was engraving also the second one ( with geese and swans scenes) during that time.
The second gun is now half done but the customer , I can understand him, was tired to wait so long and has decided to stop the project.
I don't know exactly the time I have spent on these guns, what I can say is that it was a monstrous work!

Alain, that is too bad that the client has stopped the order of this magnificent pair.
What will happen with them? I hope you now own them and can finish them for sale.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Alain,
Many thanks to you for the beautiful pictures of this splendid engraving! We all are looking at these photos for quite some time - and then again and again... So many interesting details and well thought out design solutions.
Thanks again,
Martin

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You are the man, Alain! Spectacular work as always, but even better I think! So happy to see your brilliant artwork and engraving. :beerchug: :happyvise: