My new half brother!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
bob_haidl-sm.jpg

I posted this on Facebook and thought I'd share with my forum friends as well.
------------------
I thought I'd share an amazing discovery with my engraver friends. This fellow is Bob Haidl, a gunsmith in Michigan. Bob is 74 years old and we got connected via Ancestry DNA. Bob is my half brother, born in the same hospital as I was only 10 years earlier. I never knew I had a half brother until now, and the fact that he's a gunsmith just blows me away. I just visited him for the first time and we plan many more visits in the future.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment 42288

I posted this on Facebook and thought I'd share with my forum friends as well.
------------------
I thought I'd share an amazing discovery with my engraver friends. This fellow is Bob Haidl, a gunsmith in Michigan. Bob is 74 years old and we got connected via Ancestry DNA. Bob is my half brother, born in the same hospital as I was only 10 years earlier. I never knew I had a half brother until now, and the fact that he's a gunsmith just blows me away. I just visited him for the first time and we plan many more visits in the future.
That is just awesome and his profession what a coincidence might be something in the gene pool

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's really great, sam. about 15 years ago, i was introduced to a half sister. crazy situation made possible from notes in a family bible.
too cool that he's a gunsmith. a real warm story.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool! I've done the DNA test with Ancestry and two others. I've been into genealogy for most of 30 years. I've found a LOT of family through the years. Most recently, we discovered a new addition. A gal who had been put up for adoption in 1980. She's a daughter of one of my first cousins nobody knew about. This DNA thing is wonderful in many ways.

I'm glad you and your half brother are connected and you can get to know each other now. :D

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I notice your profile pic and his pic have lots of the same look. No smile, head tilted the same and head turned almost identically. And same shoulders.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I notice your profile pic and his pic have lots of the same look. No smile, head tilted the same and head turned almost identically. And same shoulders.

Bob is from my mother's side of the family so he doesn't have the Italian looks. He's a spittin' image of my mother!

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I found my half sister through Ancestry as well. Unfortunately it turns out she's a meth head who testified in the trial of the guy who murdered her madame. True story.

Our personalities did not "mesh" to say the least.

I also found an Uncle and Aunt who share my interest in firearms. They have completely embraced me and my family. It's cool having more family.

Neisha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
The things you find when searching your ancestry. My 6th G-grandfather, Robert Morris signed both the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution (and was one of its creators), he also financed the Revolutionary War. My 29th G-grandfather was William the Conqueror conquering England in 1066. My 36 G-Grandfather was Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor. Ive traced my roots all the way back to 6th century Norway and Germany....Truly a Teutonic descendent.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The things you find when searching your ancestry. My 6th G-grandfather, Robert Morris signed both the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution (and was one of its creators), he also financed the Revolutionary War. My 29th G-grandfather was William the Conqueror conquering England in 1066. My 36 G-Grandfather was Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor. Ive traced my roots all the way back to 6th century Norway and Germany....Truly a Teutonic descendent.

I have three Patriots in my bloodline. John Morton, Representative from Pennsylvania (and signer of the Declaration of Independence), General John Martin, and Lt. Colonel John Armstrong, a mariner from North Carolina. I have the Armstrong family all the way back to the year 1000 AD. My Martin/Morton relatives helped William the Conquerer at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. They were given lands in the "moores" and hence their name. One colorful relative was Johnny Armstrong of Gilnockie. (You should Google him and the curse of 1500 words.)

My grandma was a Carson and so I am related to Kit Carson. I have several famous people in my tree. Genealogy is fun and it's interesting to find skeletons in the closet.

Sponsors