Help, please: Engraving serial numbers

Jon Anderson

I've looked through the site and haven't found another resource on-line that really caters to my situation.

I work at a die cutting company and we have hardened steel dies that need to be engraved with the company name and part numbers.

So far I've only found cheap engravers and expensive engravers. I need something with a fine tip and powerful enough to accurately engrave 3/16 lettering and numbers on the hardened steel dies and equipment. Ideally I'd like to only spend around $200 for the engraving equipment since the use will be very limited.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Trying to get a hand engraver to work on hardened tool steels is going to put the engraver in one of those rubber rooms...

Unfortunately those dies need to be engraved BEFORE they are hardened - and even then you aren't going to find much in the way of equipment that will mark tool steels for $200. Though I guess it would depend on what you want the engraving to look like?

While the steel is still soft, I suppose you could use one of the vibratory "engravers". Doesn't generally look very neat. You can find those for $20.

After hardening, one practical option is going to be etching. You might find the equipment to do that at one of the knifemakers suppliers or on the used market for around $200?

A laser engraving setup will cost far more than $200...

Common pantographs can be found on the used market sometimes for around $200, but even with a diamond drag they aren't going to leave a very visible mark on hardened steel.

Brian

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is probably the wrong group to ask that question. It seems you are looking for precision equipment to cut accurate lettering on dies. The folks on this site are typically gun and knife engravers who work by hand, and while die cutting used to be done that way it's rarely the case today. Lettering can certainly be done on dies before they are hardened but the type of engraving we do is a skill that's developed over years. In other words the tools we use are not something that you can just purchase and start cutting lettering. You would be better off sending the dies out to a laser engraver or someone with a cnc mill to do the cutting. I'd imagine this would be the most efficient way to do this sort of thing. From experience in the gun manufacturing industry, in my shop we used cnc for anything of that nature even though I was on staff to do engraving work.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jon, you're probably going to go with laser marking or acid etching on a hardened part. there are companies that do contract work for $5-$10/part, depending on quantity and any set-up charges.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for sure, my laser loves that kind of work.. for sure, my gravers refuse to work on such material. they actually go on strike if i even think of doing such.

Jon Anderson

Thank you gentlemen, I had originally tried to opt for DC etching and was shot down, I have a flashcutter that should be able to precisely cut out an adhesive backed stencil.

Sending the tooling out, even getting quotes for the work will still have a much larger cost just in my man hours and lost production time.

I don't mean to offend anyone by asking a utility question. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
No offense ......... it was a fair and reasonable question ........... but calling us Gentlemen ......... well THAT'S down right offensive ........... lol

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Pantograph or CNC a graphite electrode, EDM cut the details into the die.
That is how it is usually done in industry.
Some corners you just can't cut and expect good results.
Talk to a plastic mold making shop.

Latest posts

Sponsors