+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Noob question : What shape gravers for starting practicing with pewter?

Hello,

First post, gulp. I want to (en)grave? Straight and curved lines in pewter. What shaped tips would be best? I think fairly thin 2mm or so. I have a 3mm round wood chisel that works on pewter on my first attempt, but holding is a bit awkward. Also do I need a ball end handle for the gravers or can I get away without? Also confused on the ball end handles and which gravers they fit. Thinking of square, knife and round gravers now for pewter, am I close? Thanks much.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at he second sticky post on the forum. It's the beginners tool list. This should help you. Learning to use one graver is hard enough without buying 3 or 4 shapes that you don't know the uses for. Keep it simple.

3. Likes Dave London liked this post
    Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Pewter is soft. You can almost engrave it with a fingernail.

Do you know which alloy you are dealing with in Japan? There are several.

Gravers for pewter can be made of carbon steel, probably what your chisel is made of?

If you are going to hand push the graver, yes you will need some kind of handle to rest in the palm of your hand.

The graver, when mounted in the handle - should not protrude over 15 to 20 mm past your closed fingers.

The power to make the cuts comes from pushing with the palm of your hand - guided directionaly by your fingers.

Research, look up images of hand gravers and find hand gravers in actual use in youtube videos. You'll get the idea.

Brian

5. Likes Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pewter cuts like butter! It's incredibly soft! You must use a light controlled touch to avoid cutting too deep!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I was once asked to restore an engraved pewter flask from 1859. Because of the softness of the metal the faint body strokes of the letters were almost completely faded and the hairlines were gone. It was kind of cool to recut the letters. knowing an engraver many years prior had cut in the very same place. I was cutting into a part of living history!

9. Likes byrd, mitch, Brian Marshall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For pewter. Any kind of steel.
    But try sharpening up some chainsaw files. They are dandy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Custom View Post
    Take a look at he second sticky post on the forum. It's the beginners tool list. This should help you. Learning to use one graver is hard enough without buying 3 or 4 shapes that you don't know the uses for. Keep it simple.
    Thanks! I did check it , but wasn’t sure if pewter might affect shapes or angles etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Marshall View Post
    Pewter is soft. You can almost engrave it with a fingernail.

Do you know which alloy you are dealing with in Japan? There are several.

Gravers for pewter can be made of carbon steel, probably what your chisel is made of?

If you are going to hand push the graver, yes you will need some kind of handle to rest in the palm of your hand.

The graver, when mounted in the handle - should not protrude over 15 to 20 mm past your closed fingers.

The power to make the cuts comes from pushing with the palm of your hand - guided directionaly by your fingers.

Research, look up images of hand gravers and find hand gravers in actual use in youtube videos. You'll get the idea.

Brian
    Excellent info thanks much!
    I have no idea on the steel of my current chisels.
    But I’m pretty sure my pewter is about 92tin, 4 copper , 4 not lead something else.

Checking gravers on AliExpress, hard to judge them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chujybear View Post
    For pewter. Any kind of steel.
    But try sharpening up some chainsaw files. They are dandy.
    Great thanks! Never thought of that, I should have a few busted or shot chainsaw files in my wood cutting tool and gas bucket.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast