What workholding system to start with?

Traagstad

So, I can't find what I'm looking for through the forum, so I'll ask here, and hopefully not disturb anyone too much

In wondering where I should start, either with a ball vice, or turntable?
At the moment, I've literary just received my graver stuff in the mail, starting out with hammer, and push graver.
Probably get the Lindsay classic when my wallet can afford it
I'm hoping to get to a point where I can start engraving motorcycle parts, knives, and such big stuff, so what I wonder about is what system I should get?

Looking at the magnavice, positioning vice, or a turntable with some sort of vice? Probably a low profile?

What do you professionals suggest?
Thanks!

Cheers, Tommy

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
use the "Site Search" button above, between "Forums" & "What's New". this topic has been thoroughly thrashed.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, it has been a topic quite a few times. but------ the choices you make will be based on what and how you intend on working, big stuff --big vise. small stuf under a scope-- positioning vise. and the choices remain yours to decide. dont buy anything till you have read the info available here. the forum contains volumes (literally) of info that is relative to any engraving pursuit.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you aren't using a scope, you don't really need a turntable... unless you are working on super big projects.
But I would say a ball vise is probably your ideal starter work holder. And probably, IMHO, the first tool you need, before scopes, or power assist, or all that. Makes a big difference.

Traagstad

There's a reason I made the post, as I can't seem to find the info I need :)
Rather be sure to get the right setup for what I intend to do, before I cash myself out, into poverty.

So, a magnaball will suffice for chasing work to start with, but it's a bit small for really massive work?
the wish is to engrave fairly huge stuff at some point, but I reckon until I get to that point, ill have saved up enough dough for improving the setup for what I need :)
Say, what maximum sized, (and kg), items would you recommend to do on the Magnaball?
Would the Positioning vice be a better option? How are they to chase big stuff on?

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)
I know it might be boring to answer kinda similar questions all the time, but this is a fair amount of money to cash out, so better safe than sorry!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want to chase, a pitch bowl is what you need.. much cheaper. No rotation. But for chasing and reppouse, that rotation could work against you

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you are confusing chasing /repousse, with engraving. Yes chasing hammers are used for engraving but that is not the same . Google the definition of the above terms to get a better idea of what you want to do. MTC

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Traagstad,Go to Roger Bleile's Glossary of Hand Engraving Terminology for a better understanding of hand engraving.:thumbsup: J.J.

Traagstad

I'm sorry, I thought the rotations had brakes on them?
Sorry, I thought you called hammer+graver engraving chasing, my bad

Traagstad

I'm starting out with hammer engraving, and then getting a power assisted system when the money allows it.
Still, the magnablock would be suitable for hammer and chisel engraving? Cause the rotation locks?
I'm think about it, as I'll trying out push
My wording might have been off, my bad
English isn't my first language I'm afraid

Traagstad

Also, thank you guys for all the input :) I'm reading up on the forum at every spare moment I got, but it takes a bit of time, working 15 hours days :)
It's a lot to try to remember, and understand, when diving head deep into a new territory!

Traagstad

Norway, big country, few people haha. Would be great if there was someone here I could go visit though :)

Sponsors