Critique Request Designs for a Bond Derringer

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I am looking to do a Bond Derringer( this my personal gun ) and have narrowed it to a couple of sketches. I like the overall designs of both, some more than others and may use parts from both... but, I am not sure about the borders on the backstrap & rear sight. I like them but not sure if they are a little bit too busy for the overall look? I plan on sculpting the tulips, which I got from Weldon Lister, really like the way he uses them in his work! Or would something more simple look better?... any critique or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Attachments

• bond II.jpg
    bond II.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 243
  • bond I.jpg
    bond I.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 243

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Your thought is worth a lot...Thank you Marty.

Thanks Fred but, you haven't seen the fourth or fifth one... those are reserved for starting the brush pile.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion, the second one is better, less busy with the borders. It's nice to leave some open areas or it gets too congested!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
#2, but would like to see a bit more background to provide contrast. my idea on design ( fractured tho it may be) i like to see a balance of design and background. the two compliment one another, rather than compete. to me this equals visual harmony. it is very good to plan ahead on paper. better to waste a ream of paper, than end up with a gun you don't like.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Shawn, I'll make adjustments and see what I can do in those area's.

Thanks Monk, I like the leaf border better with the tulips but also like the nick & dot
because it has a little more balance.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Shawn, I'll make adjustments and see what I can do in those area's.

Thanks Monk, I like the leaf border better with the tulips but also like the nick & dot
because it has a little more balance.

early on, i'd look at a drawing and think it was good. after engraving--ugh ! not so good. i bought an opaque projector and would enlarge a drawing to the size of a wall. i found doing this allowed me to easily spot areas in need of correction. some folks use a mirror to look at an image reversed. that could help some i suppose. such may seem a bit wonky, but any trick that leads to improvement-- call it what you like.