GRS Asian clone engraving machines...

anvilring

I checked first via search and found nothing so, I'm gonna ask this and please don't throw rocks at me.... Have any of you had any experience w/these machines and or their respective handpieces:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+Engraving+Machine+Graver+Jewelry+Engraver+Pneumatic

I own an old GRS Graver Max and it has served me well, had it overhauled recently but I would like a second machine for my day job and these are cheap for what they are. GRS' equipment is expensive and, I just got the new catalog and things are/have increased again!

comments welcome...

m

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I checked first via search and found nothing so, I'm gonna ask this and please don't throw rocks at me.... Have any of you had any experience w/these machines and or their respective handpieces:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+Engraving+Machine+Graver+Jewelry+Engraver+Pneumatic

I own an old GRS Graver Max and it has served me well, had it overhauled recently but I would like a second machine for my day job and these are cheap for what they are. GRS' equipment is expensive and, I just got the new catalog and things are/have increased again!

comments welcome...

m
Many topics on the subject I recommend the search button you do get what you pay for

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
The opinion of most if not all especially from those that bought them and then bought a good piece ........... they don't have the tolerances or quality and don't do the job .......... it would be better to save up for a GRS or other quality machine. You will be much happier and they don't lose their value ever .......... you could also look for a used unit cause they don't seem to wear out.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ask yourself this... How much did you pay for your original GRS machine? After all these years what can you sell if for? If you do the math, you will find the BETTER machine is the cheapest machine to own plus it will give you the service you demand. The knock off is cheap and will keep you busy trying to make it work until you tire of it and sell if for a fraction of the price while never doing the job it was supposed to do.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, I have tried these clones and they are complete rubbish. They are good for nothing and I'm being kind.

The reality is that the GRS machines are cheap. Taken over a lifetime of use and the amount of work they do the price per job is next to nothing. Purchase a second hand one if you have to. They still do the business.

Yes, you will initially save money with the clones.........but in the long run you will pay dearly for it in lost productivity, frustration and the tool simply not doing what it's supposed to.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
CHINESE ENGRAVING MACHINES & HANDPIECES

Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Every one I’ve seen and tested are absolute garbage.
Very poorly made using cheap and unreliable Chinese parts.
Many are outright counterfeits of American made products.
No parts available, no service, and no support from the sellers who sell them.
No resale value.
You are guaranteed to get exactly what you pay for.

COMMENTS:
Avoid these “great deals” like the plague as they are extremely bad products. Precision engraving systems can’t be built with inferior parts and unskilled labor.

There will always be someone who says “I have one of those and it works fine for me.” Your mileage may vary.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
There are threads on how to build an engraving machine for little money. I would build your own rather than buy a grs clone .

Dom Swirl

Im new to engraving so more interested in working on my manual engraving chops, so not really interested in a pneumatic engraver. However I have an interest in anything mechanical and im thinking of getting one of these cheap knock offs as something to take apart to look at how they work.