First gun engraving.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I have a gun I want to engrave, a Taurus short barrel .38. I've never engraved a gun so I'm looking for any advice.It's factory blued and the finish is marred a bit so I think the bluing should be stripped off first, I'm not sure if I want it blued again after engraving, it will depend on the options.So my plan as of now is to take it apart and soak it in toilet bowl cleaner or naval jelly and engrave it. Please tell me if I'm leaving out something important.What is the proper procedure in prepping a gun for engraving, thanks.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,Strip it with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and stay away from the naval jelly not good,the gun should be blued after engraving or it will get rusted after some time.You could also blue the gun and strip it with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and neutralize with baking soda that would give you a French Gray finish. J.J.

Last edited:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, I like that French Gray finish. I am a plumber by trade so ,when I'm ready to give my gun a French Gray coating it should turn out quite nice. Being as I have never blued a gun before, is there a simple bluing method that's as good as a traditional hot tank method ? I see some spray on kits and some that require chemicals and hot tanks.
Dave, I've never cut a gun but I hear from some of the guys on here that preparation of the gun is almost as time consuming as the engraving. They talk about filing ,filing and then, filing some more

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
speeedy6,A simple way for you is to use Pilkington's American slow rust blue sold by Brownell's gunsmithing supply's,very easy to use.When we talk about filing it's about deep pitting. J.J.

Sponsors