improper planning

Diacutter

I was playing around with an copper inlay idea and got swept up in it without taking time to properly design. Now i'm having a very hard time trying to save this knife project. If you were engraving this project....how would you finish the "background design". Leave it alone? Geometric pattern? I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Dave CatKnife.jpg

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Diacrutter,Before you do anything engraving wise on a knife, gun or jewelry try laying your design on paper with a pencil first. J.J.

Diacutter

Diacrutter,Before you do anything engraving wise on a knife, gun or jewelry try laying your design on paper with a pencil first. J.J.

Yes. I completely agree. I made a mistake. This is a practice item. The copper inlay is the K-State powercat logo. I'm happy with the results of the logo. I was looking for some input/suggestions to complete this project.
I might not have explained it very well in the original post.

Dave

Last edited:

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Inlay the border,the add inlayed flames facing horizontally from the sides of the head.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was playing around with an copper inlay idea and got swept up in it without taking time to properly design. Now i'm having a very hard time trying to save this knife project. If you were engraving this project....how would you finish the "background design". Leave it alone? Geometric pattern? I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Dave View attachment 42226
I would first do a smoke pull, then draw a design based of your smoke pull, then create a transfer transfer it back onto the knife, then engrave it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a GREAT idea! Thank you Carlos

Dave
When burnishing your transfer back on to your knife be careful not to burnish over your inlay as it is a softer metal and you don't want to mar it in any way

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I think a nice idea would be to do a black pinstripe around the logo, then just keep adding pinstripes in a radiating pattern.
Not a lot of layout or transferring and would draw attention to the cat.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
If it were me I'd do a simple, single line outline around the inlay to draw attention to the inlay and somewhat match the outer border on the knife.
Then again I tend to prefer very simple designs by default which I realize isn't everyone's preference.
The down side is a simple clean line can be very tricky to get right and in some ways seems to me the hardest engraving.
A single glitch really stands out.
Jeremy

Bryant

hey there, if it were me
I would go with the original idea of the Thundercat theme with further inlays, watch the opening to one of the shows on youtube would be cool to commit to the centerpiece entierly.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are many ways to finish this and some good advice has been offered. My suggestion is just another one from another perspective: outline the copper design with a simple line then apply a background of small diagonal lines, forming a square geometric pattern to fill the space between the inlay and the border. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Sponsors