Scrollwork Drawing Progress

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The 3rd sketch is light years better than the first. With that kind of improvement you will get "there" quickly.

One tip, especially if you want to keep track of your progress - write the date and the time it took from the minute you sat down to draw to the finish on each one.

Brian

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Brian said, the third is the best. My critique on it though would be your backbone is really thin. Sam Welch does that but it makes engraving it very difficult. It shows his tool control that he is able to cut his shading lines as neatly as he does. Maybe check Lynton Mackenzie engraving.

I would simply add a line where the ball where the scroll starts joins the line going back and keep that thickness all the way around the backbone. And bring your leaves up to that line.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
... I have noticed that the good designs (made by pro's) are easier to cut . And the bad design will eventually fail when trying to shade them....

That's very perceptive of you and there's a very good reason that is so: Experienced engravers design their scroll with the shading in mind during the entire process. We don't just draw a scroll or leaf and plan on figuring out how to fill it in with shading it later. As the main lines of a leaf or scroll are being drawn, we already see where its shade lines will be from the very start. Not every last detail (we do make changes/adjustments as we go along), but we have a pretty solid idea of where they'll be from the beginning.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Latest posts

Sponsors