microscope deal

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
AmScope SM-4B Professional Binocular Stereo Zoom Microscope, WH10x Eyepieces, 7X-45X Magnification, 0.7X-4.5X Zoom Objective, Double-Arm Boom Stand

I just saw this advertised for $355. Is anyone familiar with this? Someone on a FB engraving page said he's had one for 6mo and is very happy with it. Sounds like a great deal to me.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Dave I have had an Amscope for about 3yrs now. I started with it almost immediately as a beginner and I am very happy with it. I can't find a model number or any markings on it but it fits your description except I think it goes down to 3.5X magnification. Sometimes I would like less magnification and the depth of field is almost nonexistent but I don't have an expensive or higher quality scope to compare it to. The double boom stand is solid but you can't quickly adjust it. I am anxious go to a better scope though and I plan on buying one if I start making money with my engraving. But for now the scope is fine for a hobby.
Hope that helps, Mark

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several of the Meiji EMZ-5 microscopes on eBay right now in the $550-600 range. (That's about a third of MSRP) I sold my Amscope and bought one of those. It's a WAY nicer scope. Brighter and easier to stay in focus.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I started with an AmScope. I did not realize how much it fatigued my eyes until I went to GRS for a class and used a Meiji EMZ-5.....IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY! Then I bought a Wild M3Z and again that was even better! My M3Z met with a horrible end one day while I was cleaning my engraving room....I will be buying a Leica A60 at the FEGA Convention if its as good as everyone says and the price is right. Otherwise I will be getting one from a vendor on fleabay. I've tried to buy another M3Z but I cannot find a .5x objective anywhere.

Don

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started with an AmScope. I did not realize how much it fatigued my eyes until I went to GRS for a class and used a Meiji EMZ-5.....IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY! Then I bought a Wild M3Z and again that was even better! My M3Z met with a horrible end one day while I was cleaning my engraving room....I will be buying a Leica A60 at the FEGA Convention if its as good as everyone says and the price is right. Otherwise I will be getting one from a vendor on fleabay. I've tried to buy another M3Z but I cannot find a .5x objective anywhere.

Don

that is terrible.. i'm using an m3z right now... great scope.. was your objective broken ? you could maybe salvage something by just replacing the glass in the objective.. i see lots of just glass on the ebay, or other (amscope for instance) objectives, that you could replace your m3z objective with.. the problem is the leica/wild threads are hard to find or match.. so get a spaner wrench and open up the wild objective, discard the glass, and replace it w some good glass.. in a pinch you can use diopter glass fr a glasses place.. i did for a while, it wa either -3, or -6, i forget... but the stuff i used was plastic, and produced some fairlly serious chromaic abheration

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Friends don’t let friends buy Amscopes.

CHINESE MADE ENGRAVING TOOLS

MICROSCOPES

Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Can have poorly aligned optics.
Might not stay in focus when zoomed.
Can have lenses made of plastic or window glass as opposed to optical glass.
Many are dim, dark, and have a yellowish view.
Most, if not all, are nowhere close to being as sharp and bright as Meiji, Leica, Olympus, or Zeiss microscopes. Would you buy eyeglasses that were not as sharp and clear just to save money?
China has notoriously bad quality control so one acceptable scope doesn’t guarantee the next one off the assembly line will be as good.
Many sellers cannot support the product with repair, adjustment, parts, etc, so you’re on your own, and imagine having to ship one back to China for repair or refund.
Most have very little resale value when you’re ready to upgrade later.
You are guaranteed to get exactly what you pay for.

COMMENTS:
I have tested a lot of Chinese scopes and found one or two that were acceptable entry level microscopes. Once again, just because one is acceptable doesn’t guarantee the next one will be. Chinese manufacturers are famous for making substitutes when they run out of materials.

If you have little or no experience with microscopes, any scope will look great to you when you use it, and your eyes can quickly overcome optical defects. The truth can come after many hours of use when you might develop eye strain and headaches and have no idea why.

I would advise finding a good used Meiji EMZ-5 microscope if the budget doesn’t allow for a new Leica or new Meiji. You will have a quality instrument that will last a lifetime, and parts and service are always available.

If you are absolutely determined to buy a Chinese microscope, then buy the seller as well as the microscope. Be sure it’s someone who can service or replace the scope without having to mail it back to China. Many dealers don’t care about anything other than making the sale.

*There will always be someone who says “I have one of those and it works fine for me.” Your mileage may vary.*

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I started I bought one and it would not focus correctly. I finally took it apart and found that one of the gears was off one tooth. I then bought a GRS scope for engraving. I just use the AM scope for cutting out small inlays and stuff. They aren't as good. My AM scope stays in a box most of the time.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a Chinese scope when I first started using one. The best thing about it was the huge cast iron base which I used a couple of months later to mount a Meiji to. You'll start off with a cheap scope and think it's great, then gradually you'll feel a bit of eye strain creeping in or realise that perhaps you'd like your image to be a bit brighter. Then, one day you'll try a decent scope and realise that you've seriously been fooling yourself. An optivisor and a decent hand loupe are almost preferable over a cheap scope. A decent scope is however a serious investment but provided your setup is good for you, not a necessity. My father NEVER used a microscope in all his years of engraving and neither did Phil Grifnee so it just goes to show that world class engraving doesn't always require a scope. My advice would be to make do and save your money for a decent secondhand scope rather than a cheap new chinese one.

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Great advise everyone, thank you very much, very helpful, I've never used a scope, I've always avoided everything about them, I didn't want to get hooked. This is the first time my budget came close to meeting a scope so I had to ask if this is even suitable for engraving. Considering I've always preferred art that is simple, open, large, not overly detailed, bold lines, easily read from a distance... I probably don't really need one,,, keeping in mind that not needing something never stopped me from buying it. I can easily find something else to spend it on. ... thx, thx,,,,,,

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Friends don’t let friends buy Amscopes.

CHINESE MADE ENGRAVING TOOLS

MICROSCOPES

Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Can have poorly aligned optics.
Might not stay in focus when zoomed.
Can have lenses made of plastic or window glass as opposed to optical glass.
Many are dim, dark, and have a yellowish view.
Most, if not all, are nowhere close to being as sharp and bright as Meiji, Leica, Olympus, or Zeiss microscopes. Would you buy eyeglasses that were not as sharp and clear just to save money?
China has notoriously bad quality control so one acceptable scope doesn’t guarantee the next one off the assembly line will be as good.
Many sellers cannot support the product with repair, adjustment, parts, etc, so you’re on your own, and imagine having to ship one back to China for repair or refund.
Most have very little resale value when you’re ready to upgrade later.
You are guaranteed to get exactly what you pay for.

COMMENTS:
I have tested a lot of Chinese scopes and found one or two that were acceptable entry level microscopes. Once again, just because one is acceptable doesn’t guarantee the next one will be. Chinese manufacturers are famous for making substitutes when they run out of materials.

If you have little or no experience with microscopes, any scope will look great to you when you use it, and your eyes can quickly overcome optical defects. The truth can come after many hours of use when you might develop eye strain and headaches and have no idea why.

I would advise finding a good used Meiji EMZ-5 microscope if the budget doesn’t allow for a new Leica or new Meiji. You will have a quality instrument that will last a lifetime, and parts and service are always available.

If you are absolutely determined to buy a Chinese microscope, then buy the seller as well as the microscope. Be sure it’s someone who can service or replace the scope without having to mail it back to China. Many dealers don’t care about anything other than making the sale.

*There will always be someone who says “I have one of those and it works fine for me.” Your mileage may vary.*

This ought to be a STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!

davefr

I know it's in a different league, but the Leica A60 is the one to get.

If you can't justify the cost right now then save the $355 and buy a good used/inexpensive B&L Stereozoom and start saving up for the Leica. Leica's Fusion Optics is a game changer when it comes to DOF.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, I want to thank you for your post. I have a AM scope that I bought several years ago it worked and I must have got lucky and got 1 that was clear. After reading the responses to your post I went to ebay and found the Meji EMZ 5 listings. There are about 20 listed and not moving so I made a low offer and they took it best move I ever made. I did not know what I was missing. Dave without your post I would still be using an very inferior microscope.
Thanks again,Leland

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, I want to thank you for your post. I have a AM scope that I bought several years ago it worked and I must have got lucky and got 1 that was clear. After reading the responses to your post I went to ebay and found the Meji EMZ 5 listings. There are about 20 listed and not moving so I made a low offer and they took it best move I ever made. I did not know what I was missing. Dave without your post I would still be using an very inferior microscope.
Thanks again,Leland

OK Leland, now I'm curious, I looked there just now and there are lots of them probably from the same seller. I'm curious as to how much you paid and what else is needed for engraving bench set up. I really know nothing about microscopes, always avoided them but if I can get something affordable I just might.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I know it's in a different league, but the Leica A60 is the one to get.

If you can't justify the cost right now then save the $355 and buy a good used/inexpensive B&L Stereozoom and start saving up for the Leica. Leica's Fusion Optics is a game changer when it comes to DOF.

I looked at B&L stereozoom on eBay, lots of them and cheaper than the Am scope . If something like that will work I'd jump at it. I also saw one on a FB page, Didn't say what brand, stereo zoom microscope for $175. These prices are great but I have no idea which models will work for engraving. There're so many models at so many different prices. I don't want or need one enough to spend big, there's too many other things I want and need.

davefr

I looked at B&L stereozoom on eBay, lots of them and cheaper than the Am scope . If something like that will work I'd jump at it. I also saw one on a FB page, Didn't say what brand, stereo zoom microscope for $175. These prices are great but I have no idea which models will work for engraving. There're so many models at so many different prices. I don't want or need one enough to spend big, there's too many other things I want and need.

Maybe this thread will help.
http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?3451-Stereo-Microscopes-to-BUY-and-to-AVOID

My first scope was a B&L Stereozoom 4 and it was a very good microscope. There are a gazillion of them out there and it's a buyers market. I think it's a much better scope then the current crop of Chinese scopes. I'd opt for the Stereozoom 4 model and make sure you get a good LED light ring. I'd avoid the Stereozoom 7.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, I offered them 500 for the Meji and they took it very fast. I should have went lower but still think it was a good deal. I did what Marcus did used the heavy cast iron base that came with the china scope. You will need some kind base to hold the scope. The B&L scopes are reasonably priced may be the way to go for a first microscope.
Good luck,Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors