Question: Maintenance: Lindsay v/s GRS Graver Mach /GRS Graver Max

Domitilla

Hello,

My Father intents to purchase an engraving system and since we are living overseas, the regular maintenance, servicing and if any thing goes wrong with the machine, we'll have to service and repair the system ourselves and won't able to send the machine across to the U.S.

Please could you give me your inputs in the maintenance required for the Lindsay Classic or the GRS systems, which would be a better system in the terms of maintenance and ease of self servicing.

Thanks a lot for any advice and help!

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've got a Lindsay that I've had for 20 years that has never had any maintenance other than "O" rings and may be one or 2 of the nylon thumbscrews replaced.

Also the clear tubing gets a little ugly after 5 or 10 years use.

So if he orders one, just ask Steve to enclose some extra tubing, "O" rings and thumbscrews and you should be fine...

Lindsays only have one moving part and no electronics. The piston which is the only moving part rides on a bed of air inside a Teflon? sleeve. Mine shows very little wear after 20 years daily use.

Brian

The nylon screws are not a millimeter size, but you should be able to find both "0" rings and tubing in most countries.

I suppose a pressure gauge could fail, never happened to me - but those are available worldwide as well.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using Lindsay Airgavers for about a year and a half, and there really isn't much that could go wrong with them. I have a Palm Control, a Classic and an Artisan, other than occasionally cleaning them with a Q tip, nothing has gone wrong. As Brian said, there's no complex (or simple) electronics, the whole thing is air powered and there's one moving part.

I should also mention I have never used anything else, so I cannot compare it to GRS or EnSet.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
regardless of which system you choose, the key to minimizing maintenance and mechanical problems is CLEAN, DRY AIR. do not skimp on filtration in your air lines.

Domitilla

I've got a Lindsay that I've had for 20 years that has never had any maintenance other than "O" rings and may be one or 2 of the nylon thumbscrews replaced.

Also the clear tubing gets a little ugly after 5 or 10 years use.

So if he orders one, just ask Steve to enclose some extra tubing, "O" rings and thumbscrews and you should be fine...

Lindsays only have one moving part and no electronics. The piston which is the only moving part rides on a bed of air inside a Teflon? sleeve. Mine shows very little wear after 20 years daily use.

Brian

The nylon screws are not a millimeter size, but you should be able to find both "0" rings and tubing in most countries.

I suppose a pressure gauge could fail, never happened to me - but those are available worldwide as well.

Thanks for the details, it will help a lot!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As far as I've heard Lindsay tools are reliable and I know GRS tools are because that's what I've been using for 28 years. GRS does have dealers and distributors worldwide in the event you need parts or service.

As for me, I have only replaced tubing in a Gravermach several years ago, and I didn't notice the water trap was full on my student bench GraverMach AT and water got into the air shutoff solenoid. This had no effect on the operation of the tool when engraving, but as Mitch said, clean, dry air is what all tools need.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I've only used Lindsay, about 10 years of hobby use, no maintenance other than O rings and nylon thumbscrews. One thing I like about Lindsay is when you call Lindsay answers the phone and takes good care of his customers, great service.

Domitilla

As far as I've heard Lindsay tools are reliable and I know GRS tools are because that's what I've been using for 28 years. GRS does have dealers and distributors worldwide in the event you need parts or service.

As for me, I have only replaced tubing in a Gravermach several years ago, and I didn't notice the water trap was full on my student bench GraverMach AT and water got into the air shutoff solenoid. This had no effect on the operation of the tool when engraving, but as Mitch said, clean, dry air is what all tools need.

Unfortunately for me the GRS system has not been robust. The GRS and the EnSet system are basically a combination of an electric and pneumatic system, from what I'm understanding, where as the Lindsay is just a pneumatic system, which is much simpler, well machined and has fewer parts.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Unfortunately for me the GRS system has not been robust. The GRS and the EnSet system are basically a combination of an electric and pneumatic system, from what I'm understanding, where as the Lindsay is just a pneumatic system, which is much simpler, well machined and has fewer parts.

Whatever floats your boat.

I don't know about Enset, but there are tens of thousands of GRS machines taking a daily beating in factories around the world, so I wouldn't be quick to assume they're not "robust".

Domitilla

Whatever floats your boat.

I don't know about Enset, but there are tens of thousands of GRS machines taking a daily beating in factories around the world, so I wouldn't be quick to assume they're not "robust".

Of course the G8 is used by many and takes a good daily beating, I won't disagree with the professionals:)being in U.S. gives one the opportunity to send the machine to GRS for maintenance and services.
Here in India it's not the same, ever since I've changed the tubing inside the G8, it's not been working normally, it will work for a little while, then again its goes back to its old behaviour. I'll then check the inside of the machine and do a little tinkering, work on the stuff GRS's repair team recommends, and try to get the machine running, which takes hours and hours, to put it shortly I'm not able to do much of engraving, which is quite frustrating.

Guess I'm not the only one who has faced this problem before.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The biggest issue with the GRS machines (and I assume the others) is supplying clean oil and water free air. Get oil in there you will have problems. Make sure you oil and water removal kits on the compressor and check/clean/change as needed.

Domitilla

Yes, oil free clean air is essential and that's what we've always used.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Run your Lindsay Palm Control on CO2 - and both water & oil problems are non-existent.

A 10 to 20 lb. commercial CO2 tank as used in restaurants for soft drinks can be had for $50 to $120 in the USA.

Or you can use a #3 size tank from a welders supply as I do... price was around $200, again in the USA.

Buy 2 and always have a full one. The smaller paintball tanks are for traveling to shows...

Brian

Relatively cheap to refill - no compressor and no electricity needed.

Scuba diving tanks are another option, as they are filled with dry, oil free air - they just don't last as long as the CO2 tanks of equal capacity.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian,I have a scuba tank and yes the air go out to quick,can these scuba tanks be filled with CO2? J.J.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Paintball gun CO2 tanks can be picked up pretty cheap. I know we bought several for our son for less than $25 a piece. Filling them was also pretty reasonable.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, I think not... CO2 is a liquid when put into the tank - but I don't really have any idea whether you can, never having asked anyone at the welding supply?

Maybe the the plumbing into the valve is different? Or how you fill them? Or some legal specification of the tank construction?

I'll ask next time I go refill...

Brian

Domitilla

Run your Lindsay Palm Control on CO2 - and both water & oil problems are non-existent.

A 10 to 20 lb. commercial CO2 tank as used in restaurants for soft drinks can be had for $50 to $120 in the USA.

Or you can use a #3 size tank from a welders supply as I do... price was around $200, again in the USA.

Buy 2 and always have a full one. The smaller paintball tanks are for traveling to shows...

Brian

Relatively cheap to refill - no compressor and no electricity needed.

Scuba diving tanks are another option, as they are filled with dry, oil free air - they just don't last as long as the CO2 tanks of equal capacity.

Brian, please could you tell me on average how long will a 20lb tank last?
Thanks a lot

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A 20 ounce CO2 bottle will last around 8 hours with a Lindsay palmcontrol. Hope this helps