Question: Color case hardening

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I like the look of color case hardening, but the high temps can be a problem for both gold alloys and action warpage so I have avoided it. Is there a such thing as a lower temp case coloring? Perhaps under 1000 deg.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian. I do all my own color case hardening. The colors can be produced at a lower temp. You can get good colors by quenching at about 1250° but I have never tried going below that temp. I doubt if it would produce colors. There is a way to fake the colors but I haven't tried it yet. Pedersoli does it and so does Uberti. I have been told it is done by water and bluing chemicals. The lower quench will produce the colors very well but it does not harden much at all.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian, I believe that most of the Italian cowboy guns are case colored using a Cyanide process.
I don't know the detail and it might be dangerous.
Expect you can find the information online or check page 93 of Henley's Formulas.
It's an old time book and may not be up to modern safety standards.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian.
I am engraving a colt walker made by Uberti. When I first got it the gun appeared to be case hardened but to my surprise it is soft as butter. It is not case hardened but looks like it. So there is a way to fake it. Ruger Does the same thing on their Vaqueros.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
gee, Brian, usually people want something color cased to hide bad engraving, which i wouldn't think is your motivation. what are you thinking of having done?

a multitude of sins can be hidden under a good color case job...

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
This may be tangential but John Seim is in the process of releasing a book on colour hardening. Since I've not received my precopy yet I can't say but it might contain some modern advice in that regard. If You are interested I could dig up his contact information. He is asking $75 total.
Jeremy

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
There is case hardening and case coloring. So if you have a piece that needs to be hard when finished like a sxs rec. then it is case hardened. but there is also a process that produces the same visual effects but is just the colors. This process is called cased coloring. Perazzi is most famous for this and you might check with a Perazzi dealer or someone who services them and they could help you out with this. Good luck

Latest posts

Sponsors