A little guessing game

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Figured we could use a little challenge and fun so here's the question. looking at the two attached photos, what is it?
A hint.....it's something I made up using a piece of steel practice plate, a 44-40 empty cartridge casing and some "aquaplast" ( same thing as thermoloc)
I will wait till this weekend to post the answer and a photo of it in use.

IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1959.jpg

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I know what ever it is it's going make the live's of engravers the world over much better,can't wait for the weekend.:clapping: J.J.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well JJ I dont know about engravers around the world but it will make my life a bit easier. Silverchip is thinking positive so keep going. I know sandy P would love this

monk

Staff member
i know zactly what it is-- it's used instead of an ipswitch from a frammelschtaume.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam you could afford it..
In answer to a question one of our fellow engravers broke with formality and emailed me.. it is for engraving not for shooting
Sandy.. you will hate yourself when I tell you... sheet metal.. tubing.. plastic...oh my

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A whistle....why didnt i think of that? I tried itband it does work just like an empty bottle blew across the cartridge case and it did whistle Dang now i can do two things with it

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have made a lot of predator calls using rifle brass. Pop the spent primer, drill with a 9/32 bit and stick a reed in it. I have also made quite a few writing pens using the rifle brass. I made about 75 key chains using 223 brass and FMJ bullets for one of my Unit's reunions, also a few of the 762 for the machine gunners. Here is what the pens look like.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some some good guesses out there but no big tamale yet. Great pen also
OK so here is one hint...I am starting a project and here is a very rough sketch of what I am hopefully going to do. So I needed a"gizmo" or as Monk described it something to help me along so it would be engraving related.

ww2 colt govt images.jpg [ATTACh

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Marty, this reminds me of years ago driving across upper Texas panhandle when I saw something I had never seen before but instantly knew I had always wanted one...a pink oil well!

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Bullet Pen!

Don't try to go through airport security with this. Had one like this confiscated!!!!!!!!!!
Great idea on predator call will give this a blow.

TallGary

OK, just a guess, but it could be a 1911 slide rotation "device". Slips in the groove on the hammer end of the slide to allow the slide to be rotated around the barrel axis.

Either that or a 1911 slide zipper fob to allow the slide to be flattened for engraving and then reformed for reassembly....

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
It almost looks like a spatula, just stick a pencil or brush handle in the casing. If not for the Aquaplast (which I assume has a low melting point like thermoloc) I would say it's maybe for annealing inlays by holding over a flame?
....either that or heating leftover meatballs, if the whistle doesn't work for the ham sandwich.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Pop that bad boy into the slide on the back rail side, then you can rotate the whole slide on centers, maybe... either that or it's doohickey, possibly a thingamajig.

EDIT... I see somebody else had the same guess... late to the party, I am... shrugs... in which case... definitely a whatchamacallit

Latest posts

Sponsors