A few questions from a future beginner:)

Traagstad

Hi!
I'm on the verge of ordering myself a start-up kit. Push style, and h&c style.
I got most stuff sorted out by searching and studying the forums, but there's a few things I can't seem to find.

First of all, what kind of vices gets used by engravers?
Obviously the ball vise, but that's the first thing I'll order if I really start enjoying engraving.
But for now, I'll settle on other workholding assistance.

Actually, all my questions is about workholding, come think of it

My plan is to have a rotating self centering stationary machinist vice. (What size/sizes to have?)
A turntable, with another vice one. (What kind?)
And a bowling ball, stationed on a conical bearing, screwed to the workbench.

Basically, I'm wondering about what sizes is good for engraving what, and what size is good for a DIY bowling ball?

Also, why aren't people just using mechanical bearings to make their own turntables, and bowling ball stands?
Wouldn't that be a piece of cake??

I hope my questions aren't too annoyingly beginnerish
Cheers!
Tommy, Norway

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Tommy.
There are pictures of my old bowling ball vise on the forum and a search should show them up.
Just a bowling ball with the top milled off and a drill press vise attached.
I use a foot turned set up to engrave with hammer and chisel.
Like a potters wheel but set at a comfortable angle.
Best of luck with your engraving venture.
PS. If you should choose to buy a name brand engraving vise you won't loose much money if you don't like it and decide to sell.
They hold their value, at least here in the US.

Traagstad

Fantastic, thanks for the information! :=)
Definitely getting a magnablock, or a different ball vice, when I buy the palmgraver classic. (When I know I like the craft)
Wish I could get a block now, but with shipping, a magnablock ends up to cost me up to 1200 bucks :O That's the same as the one supplier in Norway sells it for
And the second hand market in norway is absolutely horrible, prices drop 20% as soon as it's outta the store basically.
Does anyone know of a european ball vice?

For the turntable part, I wonder if I'll need it? If I'm only doing push, and hammer engraving to start with?

Oh, and what size vice would be good to screw down into a bowling ball??
Planning to get a few vices, both for small work, and bigger.

The dream is to get proficient enough, to be able to carve motorcycles parts, cars, knives, and such.... one can only dream!

Can't wait to get start! Slowly failing less and less ;)

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I posted this on Facebook as a possible inexpensive option:
I woke up with an idea this morning, one for all the engravers wanting an inexpensive vise.
Go to an auto junk yard and find a rigid axle with the wheel assembly attached. Make sure the bearing is good (the wheel spins free and the axle doesn't wobble). Pull all the brakes stuff out. Toss it, it doesn't matter. Saw off the axle 4" or so from the wheel assembly.
Get 3 rounds of plywood, about the same diameter as the wheel. Drill one for the lug nuts to attach the wheel to the plywood, and cut a circle out of the center of the second to recess the lugs. Join those two together with glue and nails. In the third piece , cut a small circle to fit snugly over the axle and slide down to cover the exposed inside of the wheel, where the brakes were. Sand the edges to avoid splinters.
Square the cut end of the axle, it points up, and use hot glue to glue items to be engraved.
It should provide a fairly heavy and free spinning platform to work on. Heck...the other end may be enough to stand at for hammer and chisel.
Just an idea. If someone tries it, let me know how it works.

Traagstad

That actually sounds fairly decent!
Might try that when the need for a turntable shows up

Latest posts

Sponsors