Has anyone ever engraved a bell?

firephil

I have an opportunity to engrave a bell on a fire engine. The chrome would have to be stripped , I assume it is brass. Does anyone have any experience with this material? I'm wondering whether to walk to it or run away.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have engraved a lot of bells and I charge quite a bit because they are difficult in many respects. Some issues with bells include the chrome, holding the bell to work on it, the layout itself, and the loud ringing (possibly) while you work on it. The chrome will have to be stripped and the bell polished back up to mirror (just like it was going to be re-chromed). You will have to mask it at this point if it is polished so you don't scratch or mar the surface where you are not working. The holding - I think I did a post about holding a bell some years ago. My method is with a crate, a bag of rice and a turntable. The layout could be not so bad or quite involved depending on where and what the customer is asking for. If your bell is like most of the bells I have seen there are not many straight or flat parts so all the lettering has to be engraved on a curve (or multiple curves) and come out looking straight. Don't skimp on the time for layout. You will certainly learn a lot from working on bells if you take on the job.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I won't touch chrome. I have cut a large antique brass bell for a camp on the coast here. Challenging. Remember, don't cut anything that you cannot repair a mistake on unless you go into it with absolute confidence.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have done a couple. none were plated. likely you'll need to cobble together a custom holding fixture. the chrome would hhave to be removed. plating of any type should be done on an at-risk basis, or not done at all. even the best plating can flake away from the cut line. if this happens---- uh, well too bad for you. best to avoid trouble, rather than inviting it !

Latest posts

Sponsors