Some Different Practice "Blanks"

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I've not posted many of my beginner's messes lately as I've been too distracted with the agro of life to find time to make any. However, I spotted and obtained these at an auction as an interesting source of practice plates and they finally arrived.
They're almost all mild steel and a mixture of back action and bar action about 100 in all for a touch less than a prepped square plate costs on a per piece basis. Obviously they have the advantage of shape and just as obviously they need a little preparation work. They're perfect for what I have in mind for the type of material I'm thinking of engraving long term. I've sorted through the lot and one or two I might keep as is as they have somewhat interesting dog and bird engraving already on them.
Just in case it give others some ideas on what might be out there for practice.
Jeremy

Attachments

• plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jeremy,That box of old gun parts brings back old memories I stared with practice plates and then found gun parts at gun shows shot gun side plate,trigger guards,and floor plates after some confidence I started doing gun shows and now display with engraved guns and practice plates of animals & bird to show I know my anatomy. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Jeremy, being someone who does repair and restoration work on original muzzle loading rifles and shotguns I am very jealous of your find. The locks will will be a very good practice for polishing, just as important as engraving in my opinion.Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors