Help, please: Winchester Engraving

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,It's not Heide,the women engraver I'm thinking of lived up state N.Y. beleive she was from Austria,I had a magazine article on her but can't find it.:beatup: J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ,

I think you may be thinking of Emma Achleithner. Since you have actually seen the gun what about it makes you think it is her work?

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Roger,It's the scrolls and the gold inlays is what made me think of Emma,if I find the article on her engraving I'll send to you. J.J.

catmeer

As a side note I believe that rear sight is incorrect for that rifle. Basing this on the angle wrt the barrel, should be perpendicular.

Paul Gordon

I have a Cody Museum firearms record in hand, this gun was manufactured in 1898 but did not leave the factory until 1901. Audie Murphy was born in 1925 and passed in 1971. In the letter I have from Ray Saign it states the firearm was obtained from the estate of M.C. Clark, Beverly Hills CA. Ray's letter is dated 1985. Clark and Murphy were said to be friends and traded with each other. If Murphy or Clark had the firearm engraved I would think it would have been post WWII. Really appreciate all the suggestions, I am trying to follow them all up.

Paul Gordon

Wanted to thank everyone for all their help in identifying the engraver of my clients Winchester rifle. Was able to track down Roger S. a student of Emma Achleithner, but he said she always taught that each work should be signed.....I can not find a signature on this work. The other suggestion of Heidemarie Hiptmayer has led to a dead end as she has passed and her husband retired. My last hope is Claus Willig.....does anyone have contact information for him?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Wanted to thank everyone for all their help in identifying the engraver of my clients Winchester rifle. Was able to track down Roger S. a student of Emma Achleithner, but he said she always taught that each work should be signed.....I can not find a signature on this work. The other suggestion of Heidemarie Hiptmayer has led to a dead end as she has passed and her husband retired. My last hope is Claus Willig.....does anyone have contact information for him?

I continue to believe it was contracted through the Los Angeles shop of August Pachmayer (sp).
They sent most of their engraving work out to Germany after WW2 and did not allow the work to be signed.
The rifle may well have been engraved by Claus Willig or any other talented engraver and left unsigned.
C. Roger Bleile, the FEGA historian would be the best for contact info for Claus Willig I believe.

Sponsors