Square Flat Bottom Inside Corners

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I want to do some lettering using a flat graver. I printed out some basic block letters, transferred and started cutting. Everything is ok until I get to the darn inside corners. If you are careful as you are working your way down you can "flick" the chip out at the intersection. If it doesn't flick then what? I've searched on the forum and basically what I get is "beat on it until it gives up". If it was wood I'd hold a chisel in the corner and go straight down. Before I go to the work of grinding one is there any sage advise from those of you that do this every day? Thanks.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i had just such a problem. it never became a problem until i began looking at some of my work at 20x or so using a scope. without the scope, it was noticeable only to another "trained eye". i found that when i popped out, if it became noticeable, i used a very tiny graver "thanks to john barackaugh" and cut across the bottom.
i think with a good deal of practice with your flat, your problem may resolve on its own.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry, Monk
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to do some copper wire inlay on basic single-line block lettering like you would see on an ACP slide for example. I've been pretty successful doing straight lines and gentle curves but when I started on letters the first thing I ran into was how to end a line neatly and how to do inside corners. I've found if you take little bites you can break the chip out in the corner or at the end fairly easily. If you take too big a bite, especially in a corner it just turns into a lump that won't come out. I want to keep things neat so the inlay looks good. The most success I've had so far is turning the flat graver with the heel pointing away from me, holding it vertically and chopping down to square things up, much like you would do with a wood chisel in a corner. A flat with no heel would work better but it's not worth changing gravers that often.
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep plugging along. I was just hoping that there was a quick trick that I was missing.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't flip that chip out. I just stand the graver up at the end of the cut and then trim off the chip with the flat, flush with the surface. On inside corners, are you talking about serifs

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
No, just the intersection of a vertical and horizontal line at a corner. Think of a capital "E". The top left and bottom left corners. If you cut toward the corner the floor of the cut is a perfect corner at the intersection but since the face of the graver is relieved the chip is still attached above the face. Holding the graver vertically and chopping down works but the heel makes it difficult to line up properly. I ground a separate flat graver with no heel and a short secondary bevel. I'll see if I can push that in vertically by hand and chop out that little piece. A simple problem that's difficult to describe.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like I said, Just stand the graver up so that the face of the graver is vertical with the end line of the cut. Then stop and trim off the chip level with the surface from one side or the other. If there is any bump left you can stone it off.