Deep relief

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SamW has posted some great shots of his low relief work, here's something on the other end of the scale.

Quite a lot of metal removed with this, not for the feint hearted, especially on a gun £250k :confused:

The gold to be finished after hardening.

Phil

Leopard 1.jpg

Leopard 2.jpg

Leopard 3.jpg

Leopard 4.jpg

Leopard 5.jpg

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For some reason, sculpted guns keep popping up in the edge of my vision as of late. And now here's a wonderful example from you Phil. Great concept with the gold C scroll frame. And once again I'm picking up the Single Actuon Army I'm cutting wondering how it would have looked with sculpted scrolls. I see a lot of metal moving in my near future. Thanks for an inspiring piece.

James

a true work of art, and thanks for process photos. did you use sculpting punches as well as burin to shape?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Phil, have you done any measurements as to just how deep the deepest cuts are? I took Alain's Grand Master class in '12 and he was taking background down 1 1/2 mm deep for gold fill. I made it to 1 mm and decided that was deep enough for me!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
1mm to 1.5mm sounds about right Sam, but it depends on the tightness and space size between the leaves, of course it is possible to get good carving which looks deep with much less than 1mm, but with a gun this size, it needs to be really bold, the measurement from the back of the side plate to the forend is 8.1/4" and across the breech is over 2.3/4" much larger than even a .600!

Phil

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
1.5mm????? that's dang near 1/16th of an inch!!! :shock:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
1.5mm would be the very top end but usually for gold inlay, although there is no real need for .5mm for inlay between scroll leaves, by the time it's hammered in, it would, (in my case anyway) only be around .2mm thick.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a guideline.

"A" Semi-relief, flat top, not good.

"B" Semi-relief, round top with sides more upright at base, this gives the illusion of deep carving.

"C" Deep relief, Correct depth and contour.

"D" Excessive deep relief.

Phil

scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors