How to fix a flat

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_0833.jpg

TOP SECRET engraver's trick. A flat spot on a scroll where it meets the border is NOT supposed to happen. Despite our best intentions, stircus fit (Latin for "manure occurs"). Maybe the gods were against you or perhaps the graver had a mind of its own, but it happened. And it's ugly. So what do you do now?

We can't make it go away, but by adding a couple of carefully placed shade lines we can disguise it to the point that most will never see it. I can't tell you how many times I have used....I mean it's never happened to me but here's how to handle it if it happens to you.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I was told many years ago when I was working as a cabinetmaker by my boss, The mark of a true master is how the cover up their mistakes. Anyone can follow a plan but to cover up a mistake you have to be creative It's all just an illusion

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, I was told many years ago when I was working as a cabinetmaker by my boss, The mark of a true master is how the cover up their mistakes. Anyone can follow a plan but to cover up a mistake you have to be creative It's all just an illusion

My furniture maker friend says "If you can fix it, then it wasn't a mistake". But yeah, this is simply an illusion. It's one that has worked well for me a few times :)

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
I remember Frank Hendricks saying "i never make a mistake. But i do have lapses of better judgement"

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So Sam, is the next item from you to compliment the transfer wax product line going to involve a can with a hose coming out of the top of it?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
many times over the years people have gasped at the $$$ value of some the articles I've worked on, then ask, "What if you make a mistake?" i always say, "The short answer is you just don't. But...the longer answer is that as you get better your screw-ups get smaller, and you get better at fixing & hiding them..."

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So here is another concept to think about....as i told my students....whats a mistake?
What i now consider to be a mistake, i would have been thrilled just to be able to do in the past It's all relative
So dont fret a mistake just deal with it, hide it if you can and move on
Most of us are just human