Design tip: The curve and the S-curve

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_0821.jpg

This isn't a golden rule as there can be exceptions, but usually you will see a leaf element tip that has a curve on one side and an S-curve on the other. This makes for a very attractive leaf. Quite often the fledgling designer does a double S-curve and the results are often less desirable.

The S-curve can go on the top or the bottom as shown in the illustration bottom right. Sometimes it works better one way than the other.

The double S-curve almost always works on a symmetrical leaf.

The double curve also works in many cases.

I hope these examples help. It's often the little things that can make a noticeable difference and improvement.

deazyner

Sam- Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the scroll drawing tips that you do. They are very helpful and much appreciated.

Keith

thejeweler

The details like this that one may never notice when studying Master works make all the difference. I look at my designs and know that something is not right but can't pinpoint the problem. This and the other tips Sam provides us identifies the details and then I see the examples everywhere. Thanks Sam for all that you give us.

Latest posts

Sponsors