Critique Request Scroll practice

WSammut

With all these posts about the importance of drawing and tips going around I decided to set down the graver for a while and pick up the pencil (and eraser) in an attempt to up my designs. I've set myself a challenge of one in depth drawing a week with increasingly difficult boarer shapes and trying to fill as much space as I can.
Week one
Image (14).jpg
Week two
Image (13).jpg
Week three
Image (12).jpg
I can already see the improvements I've made on my own just from practice. Please critique my progress and any improvements I can make for my next few weeks. What books/dvds could I benifit from at this stage? I have Sam's DVD and just got Advanced Drawing of Scrolls but figured I'd improve my basics more defore getting into that book.
Thanks for the help
Jay

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm no expert. I like your designs. In this case, I believe less is more! I think you perhaps have too much detail. I would simplify your designs and reducing some of the shading and allow the eye and perception to be drawn in to the 3 dimensionality. If you provide too much detail the viewer gets information overload. Just my opinion and my initial reaction; otherwise you're definitely on the right track and understanding how to put realistic life into your foliage and into to your scrollwork!

Last edited:

WSammut

Thanks. That is definitely something I noticed after the 2nd drawing. I had too much shading and it was difficult to tell one element from another or the inner parts from the putter parts of some and I tried less shading on the 3rd

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I also agree with the less-is-more critique.
Pay attention to how you finish the "knobs" at the ends of your scrolls -
In his video Sam calls them "thumbs", and everybody needs one. It's just a little curl that makes it look like a bud opening up.
Also avoid what I see as a "canoe", like at the center of week 2's sketch.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you aware that two top engravers live near you? Chris DeCamillas in Traverse City and David Riccardo in Buckley. Both of them are featured in my books and do outstanding work.

WSammut

Very much aware. Also Dave Lark of Ringinie. I plan on taking these to them to look at as well but figured the more expert options the better

WSammut

I also agree with the less-is-more critique.
Pay attention to how you finish the "knobs" at the ends of your scrolls -
In his video Sam calls them "thumbs", and everybody needs one. It's just a little curl that makes it look like a bud opening up.
Also avoid what I see as a "canoe", like at the center of week 2's sketch.

Thanks! I'll have to rewatch the DVD for the 20th time... if I can find it. It may be one of the ones the dog got ahold of

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a classic example of too much going on at one time to offer a constructive critique. You would benefit far more by simplifying the designs. I'm of he opinion that scroll design should ideally be learned and built up in steps. Backbones first. When they are perfect, start adding lleaf elements one by one perfecting them as you go. Most beginners tend to try and mimic the designs of master engravers who have spend decades perfecting complex designs. Without building a proper foundation, more complexity only means more things that can go wrong. It does no good to add 10 different leaf elements before learning to properly shade just one well formed leaf.
If I could offer one critique it would be a lack of cohesion. This seems like a conglomeration of leaves all added to a scroll backbone with no continuity. Remember, a great design can be cut with only one or two leaf styles.
Keep up the drawing and try and sit down with another designer. Bar that, try offering up some less complex designs here. Maybe start by filling an outline with the scroll backbones necessary for a good design and asking for a critique on that. You obviously have an eye for this but have just moved too far to fast.

Sponsors