The Best My Brownie Will Do...

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Marty, there were a very limited number of the deluxe journals that had some of the prints hand colored, I think by Bodmer, using water colors. If I remember right (it has happened), there were less than a total of 1000 journals made from the late 1830's to '41. Not a commercial success.

SamW

Not deep relief, or even Bodmer related but another example of low relief sculpting. This on a rather large fore-end cap on a bolt rifle.

Attachments

• More low relief sculpting.jpg
    More low relief sculpting.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 105

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Not deep relief, or even Bodmer related but another example of low relief sculpting. This on a rather large fore-end cap on a bolt rifle.

Great piece of art Sam, thank you for sharing.
Is it in a French Gray finish? Are the bands in the sky silver inlay?
Very, very attractive piece.

SamW

One last "shot" before I retire the old Brownie and look for a more modern camera. Hehehe (as Ron Smith says)

This is in the deep relief format that Phil posts. It is the piece from the Alain Lovenberg GM class in '12. Alain takes his down about 1.5 mm but I stopped at 1 mm as I didn't want to drop a tool down the hole and have to hunt for it. Anyway, the gold wire we were supplied was l think about .025" (.62 mm) and when pounded into the teeth of the background flattened to an estimated .015" (.38mm) or a bit thicker. So this may not look quite as deep overall.

Onward and Upward!

Attachments

• GM project.jpg
    GM project.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 45