Garage News: In memory of a Father

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is one of those projects that really tugs at one's heartstrings and can be very satisfying. The client's father was on the first inflatable boat to cross the Rhine River and participated in the Battle of the Bulge. I decided to divide the long rectangular canvas to be able to more fully tell the story. The infantry carefully advancing in the snow and the boat will be in a night scene- if I can pull it off.

The other side will be coon hunting. This is the gun the client shot as a youngster when his dad took him coon hunting.

He's never had anything engraved before and it will surely mean more to him than another pretty gun does to a collector of many.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bb6.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 381

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AHA Lee When we wre comparing layout ideas and you sent me your photos you never said the raft scene was going to be at night Way cool my friend anxious to see how it turns out I'm still playing with my ideas for mine and slowly getting there

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a close up

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb7.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bb7.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 377

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, you will nail it........again. Thank you for your advice and input.

Night and snow, is this the WWII yin yang. It even has the S curve separating the two. I have no idea what this means it just sounded intellectual. A pitiful attempt at profundity by an uneducated Idaho farm boy.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so nice. jobs like this surely come from the heart. from both sides. to the engraver, most feel a sense of honor to have been included in such a project. worth more than money. to the recipient, one could never put a price on such. tyvm for showing.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Your artistry shines in all your work, Lee, and this is not exception. Fantastic! :clapping: :beerchug:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Refining the sky little by little.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bcf.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bcf.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 111

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am thinking backlighting. It will be interesting to see what I come up with. I hope to not embarrass myself too much.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Little by little. Working through the basic tones and then I will refine the values. I'm open suggestions on how to do the water hehehehe.
Kind of an interesting adventure this one.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bd2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bd2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 81

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the water should be wet Lee......
seriously cast a nice shadow under the boat that is rippled by some boat movement waves. some accented waves in the forground fading towards the treeline. maybe even reflective silhoette of the trees. Thinking you need some dark accents on the forward scene as the boat scene darks are fading out the snow scene.
Now I expect a ton of posts calling me crazy and how dare I say these things about my friend Lee's work I was just too lazy to call you to say this

Sponsors