Another gun metal engravability query

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anybody ever cut a Husqvarna M40 Luger? The one I was asked to engrave was made possibly in the 70's.

Never had one in my hand and didn't see it on the list in the tips archive so...

Just looking before I leap as I don't want to quote a price then find out it's as hard as a glass insulator.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tim,After you take the gun apart and find a place to make a few test cuts in a place where it can't be seen you'll find out if is's engraveable. J.J.

monk

Staff member
jj suggested the "scratch test". that test was fairly reliable years ago. i think many of the areas you would do a test on may not be the same as the receiver or barell. a sure-fire way would be to contact the manufacturer of the gun. since yours was done in the 70's, i'd still call the manufacturer. better safe than sorry.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
When I'm in doubt about any gun metal I make a test cut,is Husqvarna till in business? J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Husqvarna M 40 Pistol, also known as the Lathi, looks Luger-like but id not a Luger. These guns were mostly made in 1940 for the Swedish military and police and were in service for many years. In 1991 all shooting with these pistols was prohibited in the Swedish Army and the stock of 50 000 M 40 pistols were sent to destruction. By 1993 the last pistols were discarded from the Swedish Army. Nevertheless, some ended up in the USA. With high pressure ammo such as 9 mm+P they can have catastrophic failure. As far as I know the pistols were made of molybdenum steel which should not be hard to engrave.

I would be cautious of engraving a gun known to blow up with hot ammo. If the gun in question was fired after engraving and blew up the owner might try to blame the engraver for damaging the integrity of the metal.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Roger. I always do a test cut on any gun steel in an inconspicuous spot for the record, and my sanity. I did read that these had metal quality issues and were prone to cracking. Luckily this fellow has a budget that won't allow for a lot of coverage and no background removal. Looks like I will just pass on this one, I don't need the headache that "could" occur.

monk

Staff member
i suspect, from the prior responses, this gun may have a value that could be diminished by doing the engraving.

Sponsors