Question: Microscope

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
As I posted several days ago on this subject, and really appreciate all the responses I still have not found one that I can afford. However I found this one with an 8" working distance and it is a stereo zoom. This might be the answer.
Would someone please read the description on this scope and give me advice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-Tr...00269&hash=item25ded9e24c:g:Pu4AAOSwUkdZpwzq#

I hate to be a bother, I just need the help.

LVCIAN

Carl,

I glanced at your previous posts and I'm not sure if anyone has shown you this yet. In the tips archive, under microscopes there is a great article that may be helpful in answering some of your early microscope questions.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?3451-Stereo-Microscopes-to-BUY-and-to-AVOID

There is a lot of crappy ones out there. And I know the aggrevation of a tight budget.

My advice, for what it's worth, is read the article (if you haven't seen it already) and try to get a quality tool that will last for a long time.

With the Lieca A60 out many engravers more skilled than I are upgrading their older Meiji EMZ5's in great condition.

They won't be rock bottom prices but you will get what you pay for.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Carl,

I glanced at your previous posts and I'm not sure if anyone has shown you this yet. In the tips archive, under microscopes there is a great article that may be helpful in answering some of your early microscope questions.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?3451-Stereo-Microscopes-to-BUY-and-to-AVOID

There is a lot of crappy ones out there. And I know the aggrevation of a tight budget.

My advice, for what it's worth, is read the article (if you haven't seen it already) and try to get a quality tool that will last for a long time.

With the Lieca A60 out many engravers more skilled than I are upgrading their older Meiji EMZ5's in great condition.

They won't be rock bottom prices but you will get what you pay for.

Thanks so much for the article. I really appreciate it. I have found several used B &L SZ4 scopes on eBay within my price range, but they all have 10X eye pieces. I have been told that I need a .5X eyepiece to get the working distance I would need. Guess I could change the I piece. Just not sure.
Thanks again.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Carl
Common confusion with microscopes. The eyepieces (ocular) 10 X , and the objective the lens at the end of the scope, closest to the work. The .5 is for the objective lens. Hope this helps

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Carl.
Both Dave London and LVCIAN gave you valuable advise.
Over the years I have had good service from B&L and Olympus scopes as well as Meiji.
But you really need to look through the scope to be sure it will work for you.
So if you buy by mail make sure you have a return agreement if it has problems.
And even this can be expensive because shipping a scope costs $$$$.
You might check with machine shops and machine shop supply houses.
Some years ago I bought a good as new B&L with a boom stand. 10 power eyepieces and a .5 objective lens from a supply dealer.
It was a surplus inspection scope out of a machine shop. Best of luck with your search .

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
John, that is exactly what I am worried about, getting something that is not right. I will check around Mobile to see what I can find. Maybe I can find something local that I can check before I pull out a bunch of $$$$$.
Thanks a bunch for your input.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks so much for the article. I really appreciate it. I have found several used B &L SZ4 scopes on eBay within my price range, but they all have 10X eye pieces. I have been told that I need a .5X eyepiece to get the working distance I would need. Guess I could change the I piece. Just not sure.
Thanks again.

You are looking at the ones you want.
The 10x eyepiece is perfect.
And in fact you don't need the .5 objective. But you will find that the space between the microscope is a little bit cramped (tho totally sufficient for engraving) and you may suffer a bit from not being able to zoom all the way out to see the big picture (but you can always use your naked eye for that).
Bottom line.. one of those SZ's. Or an American optical will serve you great.
I have an AO when I wanted a .5 objective Ian's couldn't find one immediately, I made a housing out of some pvc pipe and cut down a -3 diopter (glasses lens). For an equivalent of .5 objective.
It worked good, with some chromatic aberration. But 100% workable.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
just make sure--- when you decide to buy a particular scope-- that the seller allows for returns if you're not happy with the purchase. this way, if you don't like it, you're only going to lose the cost of sending it back.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
As I posted several days ago on this subject, and really appreciate all the responses I still have not found one that I can afford. However I found this one with an 8" working distance and it is a stereo zoom. This might be the answer.
Would someone please read the description on this scope and give me advice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-Tr...00269&hash=item25ded9e24c:g:Pu4AAOSwUkdZpwzq#

I hate to be a bother, I just need the help.
I have this very same scope from amscope. It works great and yes I did step up to a lica, I had to take out a loan for it. I do use this for all of my graver sharping and my stone polishing now. You may want to give amscope a call to see if they can find you a 0.5. They are really nice people to work with.
Skill comes from diligence.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have this very same scope from amscope. It works great and yes I did step up to a lica, I had to take out a loan for it. I do use this for all of my graver sharping and my stone polishing now. You may want to give amscope a call to see if they can find you a 0.5. They are really nice people to work with.
Skill comes from diligence.

If I am reading this ad correctly it comes with a .5 and a .2 Barlow lens. Did you have these lenses with yours?

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have still not decided on a microscope. Could someone please read This description and answer the pros and cons of this unit. Or suggest another one within that price range thanks very much.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Well I forgot to put the description in so here it is.

Key Features:

3.5X-90X zoom power with great flatness & contrast
Super widefield optics offer crystal clear stereo images
2-1/2" super widefield view and 8" large working distance
Sturdy single-arm boom stand covers large working area
Powerful 80-LED compact ring light with built-in dimmer
Trinocular port for adding photo / video capability
Brand Name: AmScope Model No: SM-3TZ-80S

This trinocular 3.5X-90X zoom stereo microscope is on boom stand with 80-LED ring light. It comes with a 45 degree inclined trinocular head, super widefield optics, a heavy-duty single-arm boom stand, and a 80-LED ring light. The 45 degree inclined eye tube and high-eyepoint optical design ensures easy and comfortable observation. The rubber eye-guards provide further comfort. The microscope offers high resolution, 2-1/2" (65mm) super widefield of view, 26:1 large magnification zoom range and 8" (200mm) long working distance, providing crystal clear sharp images. The 80-LED ring light provides bright, cool and even illumination. Its trinocular port allows to add photo / video capability to the microscope. It is an ideal instrument for researchers, gemologists, engravers, collectors and anyone in semiconductor and electronics industries. It is also a perfect microscope for biological laboratory applications that require low heat release.

Features :

3.5X-90X Trinocular Zoom Stereo Microscope with SUPER Widefield Optical System
80 LED White Bulb Ring Light
45 Degree Inclined Trinocular Head with SUPER Widefield High-eyepoint Eyepieces
SUPER Widefield 30mm WF10X Eyepieces with 20 mm Field of View
Boom Stand for Versatility Covering Large Working Area
High-eyepoint Optic Design Ensuring an Easy and Comfortable Observation
Rubber Eye-guards Providing Further Comfort
High Resolution with Great Flatness and Contrast
Sharp Stereo Erect Images over a Wide Field View
Crystal Clear Original True Color Images
Both Ocular-Tubes with Adjustable Diopter
8" (200mm) Large Working Distance
Heavy Duty Cast Metal Boom Stand Finished with Stain Resistant Enamel
Rugged Solid Cast Metal Base
Accurate Alignment Ensuring a Fatigue-Free Long Hour Viewing
Full Optical Glass Elements
Precise Ground Glass Lenses
All Metal Mechanical Components
Adjustable Interpupillary Distance
Rubber Eye-guards Included
Manufactured under ISO 9001 Quality Control Standard
Excellent Five (5) Year Manufacturer Warranty

Specifications:

Head: 45 degree inclined 360 degree swiveling trinocular
Eyepiece: 30mm super widefield high-eyepoint WF10X/20
Barlow Lens: 0.5X and 2.0X
Objective Zoom Range: 0.35-9.0X
Zoom Ratio: 26:1
Working Distance: 8" (200mm)
Field of View: 2-1/2" (65mm)
Diopter Adjustment: +/-5dp
Interpupillary Distance: 2-3/16" - 2-15/16"(55-75mm)
Heavy Duty Cast Metal Boom Stand Finished with Stain Resistant Enamel
Accessories: eye-guards
Shipping Weight: 65 lbs

Packing List :

One Trinocular Stereo Zoom Head
One Pair of SUPER Widefield 10X Eyepieces
One SUPER Widefield 0.5X Barlow Lens
One SUPER Widefield 2.0X Barlow Lens
One Single-Arm Boom Stand with Focusing Rack
One Pair of Eye-Guards
One 80-LED Ring Light with Mounting Ring Adapter
User's Manual Download