C Scroll errors

Kenpul3

So I took a course with Mr. Houser a few years back and to be honest I have been making half butt attempts at this ever since. At least up until about 2 months ago. I have been studying several different books and doodling scroll designs but everything has looked... off. Once I started searching the forum for answers I found this post as well as your others on scroll design mistakes and its like a lightbulb went off in my head. I printed off your handouts tonight and I will keep them with me as i move forward so I do not forget.
Thanks for sharing these gems!

Kenpul3

The Art of Engraving, Gun Engraving by Christopher Austyn, The Jewelry Engravers Manual by R. Allen Hardy and John J. Bowman, I have thumbed through Script Lettering for Artists by Tommy Thompson, and recently added L. D. NIMSCHKE Firearms Engraver by R.L Wilson to my collection but haven't read it yet. I have only drooled on the pictures.
I also picked up a bunch of different books with lettering, initials, monograms and ornamental design. One i found with Victorian styles and another with Gothic lettering and designs i thought would be nice for inspiration.
There are a few more i found on amazon that i want to pick up as well as some firearm engraving books i found through Mowbray Publishers.
The only "how to" book in that bunch that has anything on scrollwork is The Art of Engraving. I have been trying to study the work i find in the books and compare it to my work to see where I can improve.
My next step toward improving my scroll design is going to be buying Mr. Alfano's dvd The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls. I may pick that up tomorrow from Rio Grande.

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
You have a good selection of books.
It’s good that Sam Alfano purchased it. You can learn a lot from him. There is a good book "Drawing Acantus". I advise this book and find a good teacher.
Investments invested in school pay off quickly.

Latest posts

Sponsors