Transfer on revolver ball

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
What is the best way to transfer from the ball on revolvers. I have 3 pairs of revolvers in a row each pair will be engraved alike. I just finished 1 pair and there has to be a better way. I tried several ways and finally put transfer wax on then melted hot glue on the ball being careful to leave alignment flanges. When cooled I peeled it off aligned and pressed it on it left enough design I could scribe it. It worked but there has to be something better.
Thanks, Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, I am an uneducated country boy that's what I call the frame behind the cylinder. I guess I don't know what the technical name is but it is spherical and very hard to lift a transfer from.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Should have mentioned they are Colt SAA that might help understand what I mean. Just looked up nomenclature of revolvers and found no reference name for that part of the frame but if it helps the right side has the loading gate and no I am not engraving on the projectiles.
Thanks, Leland

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
put transfer wax on then melted hot glue on the ball being careful to leave alignment flanges. When cooled I peeled it off aligned and pressed it on it left enough design I could scribe it.

you're on the right track. i've done much the same trick with RTV silicone (a LOT more hassle). rather than use transfer wax as a release agent, try putting the hot glue directly on the steel. once it's cool, tease up an edge and put a couple drops of acetone under it and start gently peeling it off. the acetone wicks along the joint and breaks the bond with virtually no effect on the glue. you'll get a sharper, clearer impression without the wax. then use the wax or whatever in the 'mold' to transfer the pattern to the bare parts.

Note: always try to make your transfer pattern when just the main scroll & leaf outlines are cut, before any details & shading.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leland
Yep recoil shield, I have used oil base printer ink and scotch magic tape , not perfect might have to do some scribing . Never tried The hot glue ,sounds like a better way though

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Leland, you might try partially inflating a party balloon then twisting a portion to about the size of a ping pong ball nice and tight then, use the transfer wax to transfer your pattern to the next gun. Machines use the same idea to screen print images or words repeatedly on round objects. You might need to make some line up marks on the balloon before you start.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leland, you might try partially inflating a party balloon then twisting a portion to about the size of a ping pong ball nice and tight then, use the transfer wax to transfer your pattern to the next gun. Machines use the same idea to screen print images or words repeatedly on round objects. You might need to make some line up marks on the balloon before you start.

you're describing a "pad printer" that's used to make imprints on all sorts of irregular shaped objects.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all who responded. I was not as far off as I thought, am going to try the balloon see if that helps. Sorry for the initial confusion.
Thanks again everyone, Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors