Greenman carving

NicGregson

Hey guys,

First attempt at doing a proper sculpture/carving. In sterling silver plate with hand made 9ct YG frame. Should have done in harder metal like white gold or steel to get some better definition. But pretty happy overall. Lots to improve on, especially the anatomy (eyes too far up) and leaf shape. Any criticism is welcome. Thanks for looking.

Nic greenmandrawing.jpg IMG_2141.jpg IMG_2140.jpg IMG_2147.jpg IMG_2219.jpg IMG_2294.jpg IMG_3480 copy.jpg IMG_2639.jpg

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Nic;
Thanks for posting these latest progression photos of your work. I , for one , like to see how the engraver gets from the first cuts to the end product. Laying out that pattern using a grid instead of a computer /printer transfer looks like the hard way to me. The transfer method will save you time and as an added bonus , allows you to critique the design on the finished product before youi cut any metal. If you are in it to make money, time is money as I am sure you are aware. A cheap mono laser printer will pay for itself pretty quickly. Just my thoughts.
Thanks again for posting, it looks like Australia has its share of talented engravers.
Cheers
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cool stuff. if the eys are too high up-- nobody but you will ever know. so don't tell anyone

NicGregson

Thanks guys. The first half was sketched in...I was having trouble with the computer transfer. I sometimes do them, sometimes don't. Most of my work is lettering, small patterns etc so I'm fairly quick at laying out. I think drawing the left hand side took me about 15mins?? Then I mirrored it after cutting....but I complete transfer would have been cool. I'll look into a cheap laser printer for that.
Cant't wait to start my next one :)