Question: Looking For Help Getting Started

MMXVII

I have recently taken an interest in engraving but I really don't have any idea where to start as far as equipment. I have a flexible budget of around $500.

I am looking to engrave lots of practice plates and eventually knives and guns.

I have excellent eyesight so I definitely don't need a microscope.

Any ideas on what type of equipment I should get started with?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
MMXVII,Try to find a school or a engraver in your area and take class's that be your best bet. J.J.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
MMXVII,
It might help us to know where you are located.
Someone may be close by and willing to help.
Engravers are typically very nice and encouraging to beginners.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any ideas on what type of equipment I should get started with?
I have a flexible budget of around $500.
A class will be the best money you can spend, but it will suck up your budget instantly.
Your next best choice is to learn the hammer and chisel method. Then all you need is a hammer, a square graver, a flat graver, a graver holder, and some way to sharpen them. Best to purchase them pre-shaped.
In order to learn H&C on your own, you need to spend $125 and purchase Engraving Historic Firearms by John Shippers. If followed from cover to cover, it is an H&C course in manual form and will give you all the info you need. I don't remember if Sam sells it here, but you can purchase it at nmlra.org

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe. There's a sticky thread at the top pertaining to tools lists for beginners.
Cheers / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ther.e's no better time to be a newb. so many videos, you tube, the two forums, the books. avail yerself of some of this info before you go on a spending spree.500 bucks is way more than enough to equip yourself to do some really great work. there are those that will scold me, but, there's many tools that one can make---- for almost no cash. bargains to be had on the bay for used tools. a pencil will be an absolute requirement. even in this "age of computers", drawing skills are second to none. goodluck to you

MMXVII

A professional engraver has offered to help me improve my skill, I should get set up and practice plenty before then.

Would a used GRS System 3 be a good bet?

btw I live in north central Montana

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The system 3 is not a good choice for hand engraving. If I remember correctly it's really nothing more than a pneumatic hammer handpiece. You may find a use Gravermax unit on ebay in the $600 range.

Latest posts

Sponsors