engraving Sterlium & Argentium?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i've got a fairly large lettering job coming up in one or the other (client hasn't decided which yet). when i checked the tips archive, etc., what few posts there were were all fairly old and not terribly specific.

is this stuff likely to be much different to engrave than sterling? client did mention he'd like to use a half- or med-hard, if that matters.

thanks! :tiphat:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Argentium cuts like sterling, just a allergy resistant alternative to sterling, a little different in color but I'm sure you know that already. I make bracelets out of it, the other metal I'm not familiar with.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Tim Mitch
The names are trade names for same stuff. A silver that isnt supposed to tarnish. So Rio sells Argentium and somebody else sells Sterlium. Supposed to fuse together as well vrs soldering. Never tried.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
They are tarnish "resistant" - NOT tarnish proof. It'll engrave fine, maybe a tiny bit softer than sterling?

If you fabricate with it, DO NOT drop it on the floor while at at red heat. Shatters like glass.

The tarnish resistant solder that matches it flows like peanut butter, you have to push it around with a pick...

Brian

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
From Stuller's website....
Sterlium Plus is a superior sterling silver alloy that has improved tarnish resistance and maintains a bright white color. Unlike other germanium-based sterling silvers, Sterlium Plus is extremely user-friendly as it is easy to work with for casting as well as fabrication by rolling. Sterlium Plus is firescale free which provides a high luster finish. Sterlium Plus is made in the USA, manufactured with re-defined silver and is exclusively sold through United Precious Metal Refining, Inc. and Stuller, Inc.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
good to know, but all i have to do is engrave it. so for my narrow purposes, just pretending it's plain ol' sterling will work fine, right?

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
From my experience ... it seems to be maybe a little "harder / dense" to engrave ... All good tho as "knowledge is power" and the only reason I included Stuller's description.

When I use it, I do mention to the customer that that the item is less likely to tarnish ... and will require less labor on their part to keep piece looking nice ... "features and benefits" sales approach / disclosure to the customer.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The tarnish resistant property is one you have to think about... should you wish to chemically darken the surface or specifically the lettering.

Can be done, but harder to accomplish with store bought formulas.

Brian

that won't be my job this time around, but i'll definitely keep it in mind for future reference, thanks.

BuddyAustin

If the material is casted it will engrave differently than if it is fabricated. Fabricated is always better as it has less porosity and you will get smoother lines. Either are fine though and I’ve gotten great results in casted silver. Be very careful if you plan on doing a clean up of the engraving once you are finished with a 2500 sandpaper or polishing paper. In silver the fine lines will wear away much quicker than in steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk