King of The Pines

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is my latest engraved print of two grouse in a pine tree.

Attachments

• 2grouse.print.jpg
    2grouse.print.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 353

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good!
A horizon line would really help to give a more natural effect. Not too late to add one (and a couple small trees way off in the distance??)

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, I engraved a plate hoping to get a print from it, I did it on mild steel and bought some "Speedball" printing ink from my friendly local art store. I explained to the owner what I wanted to do, he said this was the ink people buy for prints like this. He said to ink the plate, place the paper on top (I used Arches watercolor paper) and rub it down with a spoon. It didn't work, do you have any suggestions for me?

JJ Roberts

Dave,You'll need an etching press and you'll find engraving on copper plates easy to hand push graver thorough the plate and get some fine detail.Speedball ink is for linoleum & wood block printing,what I'm doing is dry point engraving not etching using a etching press,etching is the use of acid to make the image on the plate.You may have someone or a school in Livermore with etching press's you'll be able to rent for the day.Arches watercolor for watercolors not print making. J.J.

Last edited:

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
If you have access to an arbor or hydraulic press, you could put the paper and plate between two flat plates and squeeze them enough to print.
Or between two plates and roll your car tire up on it....
Just kidding, but it could work.

JJ Roberts

Ken, The texture on the tree is done with a roulette you'll find print making tool & engraving tolls at E.C.Lyons,what I'm doing with my prints is dry point bruin.Just received a new etching press from Dick Blick art supplies. J.J.

Last edited:

Sponsors