Reference Books

Lofide20

Good morning all
If you could purchase only one of the following books; which one would you choose? Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs, or Advanced Drawing of Scrolls?
Thanks
Jim

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That really depends on where you stand. Are you just learning to draw scrolls? If so I'd recommend a different book altogether. That would be Art Design and fundamentals from Lee Griffiths. If you are further along, Drawing and Understanding scrolls. Advanced Drawing is just as it states. Advanced. (I'm sure you know both those are Ron Smith's books and really go together as a set.

Lofide20

That really depends on where you stand. Are you just learning to draw scrolls? If so I'd recommend a different book altogether. That would be Art Design and fundamentals from Lee Griffiths. If you are further along, Drawing and Understanding scrolls. Advanced Drawing is just as it states. Advanced. (I'm sure you know both those are Ron Smith's books and really go together as a set.
I am a beginner in this venture. I'll check that book out. I wasn't sure if the advanced kind of covered some of the basics as well.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I recommend Ron Smith's book on scroll's and Lee's book to student's both have good information on scroll design. J.J.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
If it has to be between those two books..Advanced Drawing of Scrolls. If you use this site's search feature and that book you should be able glean enough info to hold you for a couple years (not joking). But I would agree that Lee's book would be a good choice as well. You will find that you will try to acquire many books on the subject....If you learn better by watching You might try Sams video on scrolls ....

Don

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I would start with the Lee Griffiths book. The key to drawing is hand control, simple doodling with a plan in mind to start with to learn hand control and then work on the complexities of scrolls. A friend is a retired art teacher, when I was struggling she told me start simple with Celtic knots and Zentangle drawings to get hand control over the pencil. Another thing she said was go to Goodwill and buy 25 cent novels, use the pages as doodling paper. Ignore the words, but the lines of words are used as guides like horizontal lines. You can't find any cheaper paper to practice with.

Lofide20

I would start with the Lee Griffiths book. The key to drawing is hand control, simple doodling with a plan in mind to start with to learn hand control and then work on the complexities of scrolls. A friend is a retired art teacher, when I was struggling she told me start simple with Celtic knots and Zentangle drawings to get hand control over the pencil. Another thing she said was go to Goodwill and buy 25 cent novels, use the pages as doodling paper. Ignore the words, but the lines of words are used as guides like horizontal lines. You can't find any cheaper paper to practice with.
Dogcatcher
I don't believe I thanked you for your response. I am trying what you suggested, and it seems to be helping. Thanks
Jim

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good morning all
If you could purchase only one of the following books; which one would you choose? Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs, or Advanced Drawing of Scrolls?
Thanks
Jim

Lee's book and dvd, hands down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors