Need a little help

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Could someone give me some advice on a good cheap kind of micro scope to look for on eBay. Nothing elaborate, just something to get me started with scope work. Need to know what working distance to look for and so on.

Thanks.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger, I am doing great and hope you are too.
I think you know the history of why I have not posted on either forum. I am still engraving, but not posting any of my work. I do mostly knives. It's good to hear from you. Hope Carl is doing will also.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A used Meiji would be a much wiser investment than a cheap scope from China.

Welcome back!

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
A used Meiji would be a much wiser investment than a cheap scope from China.

Welcome back!

Thanks Sam, I just don't know anything at all about scopes. So therefore I don't know what working distance is required, or what power scope to look for. I have had an offer of 2 scopes to buy one was for $250 plus shipping from VA, the other was an Armscope for $50 plus shipping, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable or not.
Thanks for the Welcome Back.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, that scope for $250 was an Omano and had no stand, that's all I know about it. The other one for $50 was a Stereo but that's all I know about it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
whatever brand you select-- it MUST be a stereo zoom. a.5 objective lens will give you about 7-8" of clearance for your hands.. without the ,5 objective, you'll only get about 4'' of hand clearance. 4" for hand clearance is too restrictive. the .5 objective cuts the power in half, but doubles the working distance. even with the power cut in half, it will serve well for most any engraving task you would want to do. the bay is usually loaded with used scopes. bargains are to be had if one takes a bit of time to look. just be sure the dealer allows for returns.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl
I have the SMZ 2 , with 10x ocular and a . 5 objective. Plenty of range the .5 objective reduces the zoom power to half but increases the distance between the scope and the work.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the information. I suppose I should look for one with a boom stand also.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks ok to me might have to get or make a longer boom arm, check out the return policy just in case.
It will have higher magnification with the 15 x ocular but, cheap 10x are available that work fine. Good it has the .5 objective they can be hard to find sometimes

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You will also need 10 power eye pieces. To obtain the proper distance. I sometimes use 20 power eye pieces for more distance but you will loose magnification of you do.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Pay attention to the shipping charges. That can make a good purchase a bad one sometimes.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah I know. If I buy this one it will be right at $400 and I did not want to spend that much. And it could cost more since it is a bid item.

Sponsors