graver blank question.

Stonesetter77

As a newbie to engraving I have a question to buying/making gravers. I have a few engravers already like Onglette, Knive edge, and flats but they just dive too deep into the silver I've been practicing on. All the videos I see online show people cutting with 90°-120° and so I want to make some and try them out. So my question is, are there pros/cons to using square blanks or round blanks? Cannot decide which to order. Thanks :thumbsup:

takedeadaim

To me the easiest sharpening template is from Lindsay. He has a variety available both in 90* and what he calls the universal template which is a 120*. They are easy to use and once you own the graver holder all the templates use that same piece. There are also multiple videos of how to use the templates to easily create repeatable gravers

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I am just a hobbyist, trying to learn for my own benefit at the least amount of cost so take what I say with that in mind. The drawing and the sharpening are the 2 most important parts of learning to engrave. One does not work without the other. The sharpening, I read the basics, the Meeks book, the threads on here, the hints section etc.. I had the basic knowledge, or thought I did, but I was too cheap to buy a sharpening system. So I spent hours studying the various homemade and commercially made sharpening systems. That time was cheap, it cost me nothing but I was able to create my own sharpening system. But from reading all of the stuff, I gleaned so much information about the angles that it was another education in itself. I also recommend taking notes as you go along, the so the source you find today you can find next month or next year. That was the most productive time I have spent on this chase of the "rabbit".

The square ones are easier to index in your sharpening device older. The round ones can have a flat shaped on the handle end to use as your indexing point. The round ones add a extra step. Sharpening and the drawing are the 2 most important steps. But unless you understand and can repeat sharpening any drawing will be moot. I use the cheapest I can get my hands on.

Stonesetter77

Thanks guys. I think I'll just order 2 of each and see which ones I prefer. I have a powerhone but haven't tried it out yet cause I just got it. So excited to learn engraving. I wish I could take an engraving class but there's nothing offered anywhere near me.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
In 1989 I had a class with Lynton McKenzie through the NMLRA. His sharpening system consisted of two bench stones and two hardened steel rods of different diameters. The cost was dependent on the quality of the stones. It worked well for a long time before I got a GRS Power Hone

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. I think I'll just order 2 of each and see which ones I prefer. I have a powerhone but haven't tried it out yet cause I just got it. So excited to learn engraving. I wish I could take an engraving class but there's nothing offered anywhere near me.

Bite the bullet and take a class. It's expensive but you will learn and not develop bad habits. I just finished the basic GRS class and I learned much more than I thought I would. I was actually engraving better than I thought I would ( which is still not great, I need a bunch of practice) I also took instruction from JJ Roberts and also learned a bunch.

Bottom line ........ spend the money and you won't regret it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
most engravers settle into just a couple of favorites. you can never really do that till you try them all. there's lots of used gravers on the bay. most will be of a lesser quality of steel, but they all will cut copper very nicely. this will give you an opurtunity to try a variety of geometries, heels, no heels, face angles, etc
i believe chris decamillis has an on-line course of instruction for those unable to travel. there may be others, just not sure who all offers that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors