• OSWE3a.jpg
    OSWE3a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 321
  • OSWE4a.jpg
    OSWE4a.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

sword

Thanks Jim. :) I never thought a graver could be bent that much at the tip. As for the beeswax I saw a recipe in Wanyne Goddaed book on knife making that included beeswax it is as follows "two-thirds tallow and one-third beeswax and a little saltpeter. Quench the edge and draw to a light straw color"

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Jim, you went to a lot of trouble to make that post and it's much appreciated. It's a really nice contribution to the Cafe.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
It wasn't that much trouble. Things like the Watch drawing are in my price list as heading frames.
I will use a lot of the parts in my business. I'm glad you like it Sam.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
Thanks for the informative post. I do have a couple of questions. Did you make the bent graver from a straight square graver? To get the pattern on the watch, was that done using a printer and a transparency?

Great post, thanks,
Peter

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
The graver was a straight bank. Like a 56 round. Just for comfort on the fingertips and the right width for 120°.
The pattern was a transparency from a printer.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the info Jim, I'm going to try one of these .I own a tool & die business and have a machine that
can cut the profile of the graver without bending it . I may cut one out of carbide also . I'll let you know how they work out.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Jim, thanks a heap, always wondered how they get down in spoons, bowls, watch backs etc.
easy to understand excellent tutorial!
Kent

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
I made two of these to start out with one high steed, one carbide , but I'm having trouble getting them to cut properly. The negative angle you talked about is What angle? I made the two gravers 90 degree and put a negative 5 degree on them with a heel of 17 1/2 degree 50 degree face . I can't seem to cut anything more than a very fine line. Is there any thing you could suggest? :)

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bill,
This is one part that you going to have to get the answere to by trial
and error. Every engravers cutting hand and pressure require him to
custom fit his tools like the gun we engrave. Your already aware you
have to keep track of what doesn't work. Look at it as fun learning exercise.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Specs sorta.

Hi Bill,
This may help a little. It's just something that isn't easy to explain.

Attachments

• OSWE5a.jpg
    OSWE5a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 120

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sure Bill,
PUT THE GRAVER IN YOUR GRS HANDPIECE. THEY WORK BETTER WITH POWER. Just kidding!
What machine are you using to cut the tool steel and carbide? Guess I owe you 2 ice teas in Reno.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
I was able after a little practice to cut the lines with the way I had them made I 'm not sure why I had trouble at first? Just a little different I guess. Thanks for your help.:D

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn,
I use a wire E.D.M. (electronic discharge machine) that I program with a computor for the profile, I'm able to cut almost anything that is conductive to electricity. It is truly an amazing machine, extremely acurate ,and has allowed me to make things that could not have been made by any other way I know of. It can cut ,and hold very close tolerances in steel, carbide, carbon, titanium, aluminum, brass, you name it . And yes as you can imagine quite exspensive.;)

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, That's it. I am truly green with envy. I suppose you have a NC Tool station next to the NC lathe also.
When they get the price under a half million I'm going to get one. I'll think of a way to sneak it past the wife.
Maybe a part at a time?!

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Well Jim they told me to buy the best equiptment I could afford You think I went overboard? Just kidding of course. The carbide gravers seem to work real nice after getting use to them. I might be persuaded to send you one if you where to e-mail me your address. That way it would keep you out of trouble with the wife .:rolleyes: :cool:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hay sword: aint none of my biz, but i wouldn't be foolin with that saltpeter ! that stuff can turn a baritone into a sopranno, i'm told !

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Corel draw and the graphic suite. Also getting the tutorial form www.lynda.com on how to use the program.
Sam also has some good stuff on how to use the program on his DVD's. Then just sitting down
for a couple of weeks until you get it. Or a couple hours in my son's case.