Looking for samples of SS

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Anybody know where I can buy stainless steel samples or very small pieces? I want to try out the ones best suited for engraving, even some that most engravers don't like to work on. I want to try them for myself, I haven't engraved stainless yet and there's a lot of stuff I could make from it so I need a working knowledge of what the different grades are like.

I recently found some info. on the Site-Search on SS, I'm assuming 300 series isn't popular for engraving,,, 303 being the least hard to engrave,,, but that would be the least magnetic, right? I'm thinking about elec. guitar parts like pickguards and switchplates.

400 has more iron so is slightly magnetic but better for engraving, 416 being popular. And that's all I know, I'm looking for sample pcs. and any general information.

Much Thanks, DG

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe a knifemakers supply company, such as Jantz, could help set you up with a box of odds-n-ends? they usually various grades of metals in small sizes for that trade.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
If you do find some odd pieces of SS, is there a way to tell the grade without markings ?

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
If you do find some odd pieces of SS, is there a way to tell the grade without markings ?

I have no idea Speedy, that's why i'd like to get samples from a supplier so I'll know what's what, I want to test cut them and catalog the results.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have ordered metals from both Online Metals and Speedy Metals, both had good service, and the prices were about the same. You can order any size and thickness of what I ordered, but I never checked the different kinds of stainless steel they offer.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i always thought pickguards were made of aluminum. at least the ones i made were of aluminum. as for ss, early on i got into real trouble doing a s&w made of ss. ithought it would be like regular gun steel. so much for that !

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
i always thought pickguards were made of aluminum. at least the ones i made were of aluminum. as for ss, early on i got into real trouble doing a s&w made of ss. ithought it would be like regular gun steel. so much for that !

Yep, that's why I want samples!!,,,, and as for pickguards, they can be made of anything thin and flat, Aluminum would be the logical choice but I just met a builder that likes 316 ss,,, go figger.

Latest posts

Sponsors