William Henry Buffalo Bill Knife

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I'll have this William Henry Knife with me for the "show and tell" that's a part the GRS Grand Masters Weekend. This one has a variety of different techniques involved in the presentation - flush inlay, raised gold and silver inlay along with bulino portraits of Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley and Sitting bull. The figures represent the years of "Buffalo Bills Wild West" - a western show of the late 1800's and early 1900's that toured the US and Europe under the direction of W. F. Cody.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm curious to know how you find time to create such fabulous work ! just about everything you do is museum quality. tyvm for showing this.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I work nearly everyday at my engraving bench - the only exceptions being travel, teaching, and various assorted duties of marriage and Grandfatherhood. I've been at this for over 50 years and I still make new discoveries every day. These bulino portraits, for instance, were very difficult for me - my good friend Marty Rabeno - and others - seem to do them so easily and so beautifully and gracefully that I wonder how two old Art Teachers could be so different.

None of this is easy, and I try to let my students know how much time will have to spend to come close to the excellent work they see on these forums and in The FEGA Engraver Magazine.

So, finding time is not the issue for me; it is more about dedicating the time necessary to create a new piece of engraving art that is better than the last.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I work nearly everyday at my engraving bench - the only exceptions being travel, teaching, and various assorted duties of marriage and Grandfatherhood. I've been at this for over 50 years and I still make new discoveries every day. These bulino portraits, for instance, were very difficult for me - my good friend Marty Rabeno - and others - seem to do them so easily and so beautifully and gracefully that I wonder how two old Art Teachers could be so different.

None of this is easy, and I try to let my students know how much time will have to spend to come close to the excellent work they see on these forums and in The FEGA Engraver Magazine.

So, finding time is not the issue for me; it is more about dedicating the time necessary to create a new piece of engraving art that is better than the last.

thanks for the reply. we are all inspired by your works. the diversity of your work is very impressive.