+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My DIY Power Hone

I didnít want to pay $600 plus for a power hone (sorry Power Hone manufacturers/builders) so I set out to make my own. Came up with this. Total cost was around $380 (I used some parts I had on hand). Hindsight being 20/20 I figure you could build one similar (better actually) buying all the needed parts for around $350. Is all "plug and play" built with a minimum of hand tools and readily sourced parts.

Variable speed with full torque throughout speed range (0-1050 rpm max at factory speed control trimpot settings, capable of setting to full speed of 1750 rpm) - Continuous duty top of the line industrial rated 90v dc motor - Reversible

Is a bit of a bench beast at 12" x 12" x 8" but sure does hog out gravers fast. Used a 1/4hp and could have easily went with a 1/6hp (and made it a bit smaller in the process). I was worried about the spacers being stiff enough to hold the motor securely but the junction box enclosure is surprising solid and robust and the motor is rock solid, no twisting or flexing what so ever. I cheated on the reverse switch (they wanted $60 for an OEM one for the speed control!!!) and added a simple reverse polarity toggle switch between the speed box and motor. Put it in the box so no accidental switching while in use, hate to fry my $124 SCR speed control!
    Attached Images
    Have a good one!

Ron Jr. Scrimshaw & Engraving

Click the link below to visit my website.

2. Likes Sandy, Marrinan, mitch, RDP, JMiller and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A professional looking unit, great job.

4. Likes Ron Jr. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, Ron, that's pretty Swiss (as an old machinist i knew used to say). any chance you'd post a parts & suppliers list for those inclined to replicate your efforts, either exactly or in part? i love the idea of using the DC motor shaft directly.
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, NICE. Thanks for sharing.

7. Likes Ron Jr. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    wow, Ron, that's pretty Swiss (as an old machinist i knew used to say). any chance you'd post a parts & suppliers list for those inclined to replicate your efforts, either exactly or in part? i love the idea of using the DC motor shaft directly.
    Thanks Mitch, I take that as a huge compliment I made a whole new post with all the info and links.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthr...-for-Under-350
    Have a good one!

Click the link below to visit my website.

9. Likes mitch, JMiller liked this post
+ Reply to Thread