Problem with transfers

Ooten

I am attempting to do my first transfers and have made little progress in past few days. I am hoping someone will be be to tell me what I am doing wrong.
My material is Tractor Supply cold rolled steel, sanded with 120 grit to remove scale then buffed with a scotch brite wheel. This is then wiped down with denatured alcohol, washed with dish soap, dried, then wiped down with 100% acetone. Just before applying a thin coat of cowboy transfer fluid I use clear packing tape to remove any debris.
My printer is an HP8710 officejet, I have tried various settings, currently set to normal quality & max dpi. I am printing onto Pictorico TPU-100 transparency film.
I have tried varying dry times from a few minutes to 24 hours. The best I can get, if I burnish hard enough, is to make the back ground hazy. Then I can just barely make out the lines in the negative space.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's happening because you have all your ink cartridges installed on your printer take out the color ones and just leave the black because although your image might look black it's not a true black like I said again remove all the color cartridges temporarily print out your design into black and that should help second depends on your original image what type of image are your printing from as some change in quality meaning they pixelate as you make them larger or resize them it must be a vector image for best results

Last edited:

Ooten

... and the answer is;

For an HP8710
Print Quality - Best (or Max DPI)
Paper type - Thick
Grayscale - High Quality

Print on the smooth side.

Put a thin coat of transfer fluid on the plate, printed the transparency, transferred the image. Total time between putting on the fluid and burnishing 5 min (maybe).

Cowboy Engraving's transfer fluid is the stuff Shawn Didyoung developed. It works great when you get your printer sorted :)

alladin

... and the answer is;

For an HP8710
Print Quality - Best (or Max DPI)
Paper type - Thick
Grayscale - High Quality

Print on the smooth side.

Put a thin coat of transfer fluid on the plate, printed the transparency, transferred the image. Total time between putting on the fluid and burnishing 5 min (maybe).

Cowboy Engraving's transfer fluid is the stuff Shawn Didyoung developed. It works great when you get your printer sorted :)

You have written, " print on the smooth side ".
I believe this is your issue, try printing on the rough side.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the grayscale setting usually produces a jillion tiny dots. at best this will reproduce very poorly. you want to use the "black& white" setting for best results.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
foget all the soap and ans stuff, Just clean with good strong alcohol. I had trouble the other day and all I did was change mi black ink cartridge, than it worked fine. the ink cartridge must be original HP. The refills won't work. also you have to let the transfer fluid dry enough. If it isn't dry enough it won't work.

Sponsors