+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with transfers

I am attempting to do my first transfers and have made little progress in past few days. I am hoping someone will be be to tell me what I am doing wrong.
    My material is Tractor Supply cold rolled steel, sanded with 120 grit to remove scale then buffed with a scotch brite wheel. This is then wiped down with denatured alcohol, washed with dish soap, dried, then wiped down with 100% acetone. Just before applying a thin coat of cowboy transfer fluid I use clear packing tape to remove any debris.
    My printer is an HP8710 officejet, I have tried various settings, currently set to normal quality & max dpi. I am printing onto Pictorico TPU-100 transparency film.
    I have tried varying dry times from a few minutes to 24 hours. The best I can get, if I burnish hard enough, is to make the back ground hazy. Then I can just barely make out the lines in the negative space.

Post Thanks / Like

That's happening because you have all your ink cartridges installed on your printer take out the color ones and just leave the black because although your image might look black it's not a true black like I said again remove all the color cartridges temporarily print out your design into black and that should help second depends on your original image what type of image are your printing from as some change in quality meaning they pixelate as you make them larger or resize them it must be a vector image for best results
    Last edited by dlilazteca; 08-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Saludos,
    Carlos

www.gunengraver.com

"strive to produce work that the very best engravers do, set your mark high, aim for it, but don't be disappointed when you don't get to 100%, you will have done your best and that's what counts" - Phil Coggan

Post Thanks / Like

What is cowboy transfer fluid?

4. Likes gcleaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the cowboy transfer fluid what DD Young sells?

Post Thanks / Like

... and the answer is;

For an HP8710
    Print Quality - Best (or Max DPI)
    Paper type - Thick
    Grayscale - High Quality

Print on the smooth side.

Put a thin coat of transfer fluid on the plate, printed the transparency, transferred the image. Total time between putting on the fluid and burnishing 5 min (maybe).

Cowboy Engraving's transfer fluid is the stuff Shawn Didyoung developed. It works great when you get your printer sorted

Post Thanks / Like

Transfers have been beat to death. Go to the search at the top of the page and do a search. You will find many ideas. Also try searching prismacolor marker. That is what I use for transfer fluid. works great.

8. Likes mitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You do not want Greyscale switch it to black ink only.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ooten View Post
    ... and the answer is;

For an HP8710
    Print Quality - Best (or Max DPI)
    Paper type - Thick
    Grayscale - High Quality

Print on the smooth side.

Put a thin coat of transfer fluid on the plate, printed the transparency, transferred the image. Total time between putting on the fluid and burnishing 5 min (maybe).

Cowboy Engraving's transfer fluid is the stuff Shawn Didyoung developed. It works great when you get your printer sorted
    You have written, " print on the smooth side ".
    I believe this is your issue, try printing on the rough side.

11. Likes diandwill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the grayscale setting usually produces a jillion tiny dots. at best this will reproduce very poorly. you want to use the "black& white" setting for best results.

Post Thanks / Like

Load the transparency according to the directions on the box. Should print on the rough side.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast